ToC 5: Smoothing the transition from jousting

#0 - Aug. 31, 2009, 3:03 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Are there any plans to smooth out the rough edges in the first encounter of Trial of the Champion?

Most puggers I run the instance with insist that we run out on dismount. Most of the time I convince them to stay in and let me pick up all the mobs (tank dismounts early and taunts+builds aggro on the ones who fall off). The problem here is that aggro from the jousting carries over to phase 2, so for example, if a cloth class did the best jousting, he gets skewered instantly in phase 2.

Having to swap out the lance for the weapon, and being given only a few seconds to do it with much more pressing issues (like not dying instantly) is very clumsy, game mechanic-wise. A lot of those I play with forget to swap weapons back.

I think the faction champs ought to dismount and walk to the gate and stand ready to fight rather than stand up for 3 seconds and then attack.

Also, there's also a random bug where the mobs will come back to life after being beaten and then restart the jousting, requiring the players to run out and reset the encounter.
#39 - Aug. 31, 2009, 10:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Are there any plans to smooth out the rough edges in the first encounter of Trial of the Champion?

Most puggers I run the instance with insist that we run out on dismount. Most of the time I convince them to stay in and let me pick up all the mobs (tank dismounts early and taunts+builds aggro on the ones who fall off). The problem here is that aggro from the jousting carries over to phase 2, so for example, if a cloth class did the best jousting, he gets skewered instantly in phase 2.

Having to swap out the lance for the weapon, and being given only a few seconds to do it with much more pressing issues (like not dying instantly) is very clumsy, game mechanic-wise. A lot of those I play with forget to swap weapons back.

I think the faction champs ought to dismount and walk to the gate and stand ready to fight rather than stand up for 3 seconds and then attack.

Also, there's also a random bug where the mobs will come back to life after being beaten and then restart the jousting, requiring the players to run out and reset the encounter.

We've fixed this in patch 3.2.2. You should no longer feel obliged to zone out to reset their positions.