Why would Horde Orcs fight the Iron Horde?

#1 - Aug. 15, 2014, 7:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I am excited about Warlords, but I can't understand why Orcs...like Thrall...would join forces with the Alliance to fight the Iron Horde. First, the Orcs in Azeroth and the Iron Horde are Friends and Family! Thrall he will be fighting his friend Grommash Hellscream and all the other Orcs will literally be fighting their grand dads and moms, uncles, aunts, brothers, sisters, dad, mom, etc...

Second, if the Iron Horde does conquer Azeroth and Draenor in a present, alternate timeline...what's the big deal??? The Orcs are the rulers and they've effectively destroyed the Alliance which is something we've been trying to do on the Horde side for the past 10 years of WoW and 20 years of Warcraft. Isn't that the point of Wintergrasp, AV, AB, WSG, TB, Isle, etc....kill the Alliance. Why on Earth would I help the Alliance stop an Orcish army when I am an Orc???

Third, Garrosh isn't leading them, it is Grom, Kilrog, and the other Warlords. Yeah Garrosh is advising, but he is not the Warchief.

I just don't understand the motive for Orcs to fight literally their own flesh and blood. If I was in WoW with my Orc lock I would not fight against the Iron Horde. Screw that, they're Family and apparently my Family is winning.

Thanks.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#65 - Aug. 16, 2014, 1:52 a.m.
Blizzard Post
08/15/2014 12:20 AMPosted by Kohma
I just don't understand the motive for Orcs to fight literally their own flesh and blood. If I was in WoW with my Orc lock I would not fight against the Iron Horde.

Some orcs have stood by Garrosh's side. You've seen and fought them in Siege of Orgrimmar; however, a majority of the orcs stood with the Horde and against Garrosh's vision of a "pure" Horde, one that is made entirely of, or at least entirely led by, orcs and orcs alone.

Why do humans fight against humans, or those within a nation against their neighbors? There are complexities that go beyond nation, or species, or race. I think it's a valid question: why would someone want to fight against their neighbor, or even their own family, and yet it happens every day.

In this case the Iron Horde threatens all of Azeroth. Anyone who stands with the Horde is the enemy. Wanting to break off from the Horde and side with the Iron Horde is... sure, a valid way to maybe RP your character (also certainly the desire of some of the characters in the game) and you can maybe even find some fun ways to explore that story line for your character, but it's not the story arc the game is intentionally telling for you or your character.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#77 - Aug. 16, 2014, 2:02 a.m.
Blizzard Post
08/15/2014 07:00 PMPosted by Fraidies
08/15/2014 06:52 PMPosted by Bashiok
Some orcs have stood by Garrosh's side
Right, but the Orcs already on Draenor that join with Garrosh... might possibly be their ancestors. What if they accidentally erase themselves from existence? I wouldn't take that risk.

Multiverse. The moment Garrosh went back an alternative timeline skewed off. Nothing in this alternate Draenor affects our timeline, except that Garrosh has opened a portal back to our universe to bring the Iron Horde through and murder us.

Is this still actually a confusion point?