Item Squish and Old Raids

#1 - May 15, 2014, 8:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Alright, I've read a lot of information about what's going to happen with the item squish, and I realize that the goal is to make it so that max level characters can still solo old instances. My question is about doing old-world raids at appropriate levels. Will we still be able to complete a raid of Black Temple at level 70 (with a full 25 man group), or will the item squish make that impossible?

It also seems as if the item squish will allow them to "set" the difficulty of old world raids, which is something I really don't like. I like the thought of, as I gear up doing the raid tiers at level 100, the old raids getting easier and easier -- it should be MUCH easier to solo, say, Firelands Ragnaros at level 100 than it is at 90; but doing it at 90 should, in my opinion, even after the expansion, be just as easy as it is doing it NOW at 90. With them making it so that we can solo old raids with a "buff", they'll be able to finely control how easy it is to solo an old raid at specific levels, rather than just letting us steamroll it.

Thoughts (and maybe a blue post comment :) )?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#4 - May 15, 2014, 8:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Let me see if I got the question right, you want to know if a Level 90 soloing older Raid tiers will have as difficult a time post stat squish?

There will be special handling in place for players to retain the ability to solo older raid content. Players will deal bonus damage against and take reduced damage from lower-level creatures from past expansions.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#9 - May 15, 2014, 8:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/15/2014 01:32 PMPosted by Raderian
I thought the question was about raiding old content at the level they were intended for? (BC at 70, WotLK at 80, etc.) This is something I'd like to know too, as my guild does this.

Will the squish have an affect on that? From what I understand, gear increases within old expansions will be taken out, which kind of removes all progression. But I understand why you're doing it. Will this buff only appear at max level or will all players get it whenever they enter the raid? I'd like to know just so I can help plan how my guild's progression will pan out as WoD gets closer to release.

I'd hate to have raiding old stuff at lower levels become impossible due to the item changes.

It's not a buff, more of a behind-the-scenes calculations type change. And running older raids with characters that are at the intended level ranges should still be possible post-squish.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#15 - May 15, 2014, 9:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/15/2014 01:51 PMPosted by Haunter
it's rather disappointing that this is the only way of handling it.

How do you reckon this will affect players who choose to twink at say level 60 or 70 or 80?

If I at level 90 need a behind-the-scenes buff to be able to solo older content, how do you propose players will get achievements like Herald of the Titans?

Older raid content isn't intended to be soloable by characters at the appropriate level ranges. A level 70 character will not be able to solo Black Temple. But a level 90 character can do that currently, and will continue to be able to do so post stat squish.