Assault on the Ruby Sanctum

#0 - Feb. 19, 2010, 7:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As we prepare for the public testing phase of minor content patch 3.3.3, some players might come across information regarding upcoming content that isn't yet available. To avoid any confusion, we'd like to tell you about an exciting new raid dungeon we are working on for content patch 3.3.5.

The Ruby Sanctum

A powerful war party of the Black Dragonflight, led by the fearsome Twilight dragon, Halion, have launched an assault upon the Ruby Sanctum beneath Wyrmrest Temple. By destroying the sanctum, the Black Dragonflight look to crush those that would stand in the way of their master’s reemergence into Azeroth and to ultimately shatter the Wyrmrest Accord – the sacred bond that unites the dragonflights.

The battle that is to come will surely deal a crippling blow to the Red Dragonflight, however, it is up to you to stop this unprecedented offensive and defend the Ruby Sanctum. First you must face the assault of Halion's servants, Saviana Ragefire, Baltharus the Warborn, and General Zarithrian, before squaring off against Halion the Twilight Destroyer, a new and deadly force in this realm.

The Ruby Sanctum will feature 10- and 25-player content, Heroic difficulties and all-new rewards! Stay tuned for more information as we get closer to its release.
#76 - Feb. 19, 2010, 8:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
So we're going into the RUBY sanctum and we're STILL fighting the Black Dragonflight?

I was looking forward to the other sanctums opening up... I thought we were gonna have a little buffet line of unique encounters with all five dragonflights.

But no... just more of the same.

It's much more than that. You'll learn more in due time, I assure you. This could quite possibly be the very beginning of Deathwing's plan to dismantle the Wyrmrest Accord from within.
#140 - Feb. 19, 2010, 10:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Interesting. I would assume that the Ruby Sanctum will be on par with ICC in rewards and difficulty. Sort of like how Onyixa is on par with Trail of the Crusader.

This is the basic idea. The Lich King is still intended to be the most difficult boss in Wrath of the Lich King.
#144 - Feb. 19, 2010, 10:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Is this like Sarth v2.0? 3 drakes that can be killed or left alive to increase the difficulty of the encounter?

(a la hard mode)

Most likely that will not be the case for activating Heroic difficulty. We'll provide more information to confirm this later, but the current plan is to use the difficulty system present in Icecrown Citadel for the Ruby Sanctum.
#153 - Feb. 19, 2010, 11:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I think what people want to know the answer to is this: Is Ruby Sanctum:

1) Four separate boss encounters, each with their own loot table
2) One boss encounter, with three mini-bosses
3) Something else

Number 2. The lieutenants are sub-bosses which will each drop an Emblem of Frost. Halion is the main boss. While the activation of Heroic difficulty is different from the Obsidian Sanctum, the overall raid format for the Ruby Sanctum is very comparable.

Q u o t e:
I guess this means Cataclysm will be even more delayed.

There's no real reason to make this inference. This raid will not only provide a bit of additional content to pair with the current content of patch 3.3, it will be the beginning of an advancement in the storyline for Cataclysm.

Q u o t e:
I'm getting the vibe this is going to be closer to a Hyjal, Black Morass, and VH type setup instead of all or one at a time setup like Sarth. Judging by the comments after SW, probably not far fetched to think that we are not going to venture into a the 8 piece tier sets again. However, might see Halion drop a tier token or two to give guilds some other options to acquire the higher level tier gear.

You're likely to find some random pieces of armor on par with Lich King loot, similar to the items Onyxia dropped while Trial of the Crusader was the top-tier raid. You can also expect to see some more trinkets and things of that nature.
#184 - Feb. 20, 2010, 1:31 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Actually, yes, there is a good reason to make this inference.

Looks a lot like a delay to me. Just saying.

All of your good reasons are major assumptions and guesses at best. Besides, we've never provided a release date for Cataclysm in the first place beyond stating that we'd like to get it out this year. Just saying. :)
#190 - Feb. 20, 2010, 1:41 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

You are correct, as I stated that myself in my post. But you have to admit, all we have are guesses and assumptions on our part here. Try looking at it from the player side of the mirror, Zarhym.

So stop guessing and enjoy the game. We'll handle the development side of things and provide you with more information as we continue with our work on Cataclysm.
#204 - Feb. 20, 2010, 2:17 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
do you always have to put cataclysm in italics?

It's a habit after being accustomed to formatting documents and content previews in accordance with our public relations style guide. ;)

Q u o t e:
Just an idea but can the dragons in the new instance have a troll humanoid form? Then you satisfy everyone!

You people and your troll raids. Just can't let it go! :p
#216 - Feb. 20, 2010, 2:47 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Need Troll raid!!!!!!!!
T_T
New Dragon raid no have lore

Oh it does and it's awesome. We just haven't shared it all with you yet. ;)
#223 - Feb. 20, 2010, 3:10 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Interesting, we already know it's the Black Dragonflight's first strike against the Wrymrest Accord. I suppose if nothing else it'll account for how Deathwing is able to take Grim Batol so easily in Cataclysm.

I am curious as to why you have referred to it as a similar setup as the Obsidian Sanctum. From the descriptions it sounds more like a defensive raid, which is not like OS at all.

Well, when you're able to enter the Ruby Sanctum, you'll find yourself in the wake of an assault that's already taken place.
#243 - Feb. 20, 2010, 6:44 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Not to stare a gift horse in the mouth, but what is blizzard's obsession with Making Heroic Modes a UI button that gives everything 30% more HP and damage, with like a single new mechanic that doesn't change the fight at all?

Ulduar/Sartharion Hard modes not only provided a unique and interesting fight compared to easy modes, but they made sense, felt epic, and quests provided guidance.

This doesn't necessarily mean this is the only way we'll be implementing Heroic difficulties going forward. We are sticking to the UI-switch mechanic you see in Icecrown Citadel for the Ruby Sanctum though.