WoW item squish and old content

#1 - Jan. 2, 2014, 9:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Let me preface this by saying that I don't have the best gear available but I do like to go through old content and pick up some unique items from vanilla, bc, and so on. This is something that I do on my alts as well to pick up old tiers for transmog.

With the coming item squish I've read that it will make the exponential stat gains from 60-85 linear as 1-60 currently is today. will this item squish cause a noticeable decrease in the damage we can currently dish out to older content raid bosses? Or will it be similarly easy when we hit 100?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#6 - Jan. 2, 2014, 9:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Our developers are mindful of the concerns about stat squish/crunch affecting the ability to solo older Raid content. Having said that, if you are currently able to solo an older Raid, the squish should not change your ability to do that.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#12 - Jan. 2, 2014, 9:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
However, since the Blues are neither mind-readers nor time-travelers, they can't make that statement definitively.

...or are they?

None of the blues are mind-readers or time-travelers to the best of my knowledge. Can't pin me down even on that one! :)
Forum Avatar
Game Designer
#38 - Jan. 3, 2014, 12:16 a.m.
Blizzard Post
01/02/2014 02:23 PMPosted by Starling
That's great! But I could have sworn solo raiding was frowned upon by Blizzard. Not sure they'll be too worried about keeping it a possibility. Hopefully though.

There's nothing at all wrong with going back and doing legacy raids and other content. The achievement system, cosmetic rewards and titles, and most recently transmogrification all serve to reward that playstyle. There's also a lot to be said for just being able to revisit old locations, for the sake of nostalgia or getting to experience them for the first time, without needing to find a like-minded group. As Rygarius noted, we're committed to making sure that we don't disrupt players' ability to engage in that gameplay.

Without getting into the math, our goal is to make sure that if Kael'thas's Pyroblast does damage equal to 10% of your maximum health today, it will take off no more than 10% of your health post-squish. And if you kill Onyxia in 30 seconds today, you'll be able to kill Onyxia in 30 seconds post-squish.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#173 - May 21, 2014, 10:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/15/2014 01:19 PMPosted by Rygarius
There will be special handling in place for players to retain the ability to solo older raid content. Players will deal bonus damage against and take reduced damage from lower-level creatures from past expansions.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#175 - May 21, 2014, 11:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/21/2014 04:02 PMPosted by Rubedo
you quoted yourself...

is this some sort of weird...

argh!

Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm literally repeating myself. :P