I Helped!

Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#1 - Dec. 17, 2013, 9:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
One of the many things I like about World of Warcraft is that, with a little effort, it's possible to make connections with some pretty amazing people that you might have otherwise never met anyplace else. Personally, I made most of my in-game friends while lending a little help to a stranger. Some of those interactions were pleasant diversions that lasted for just a moment, the length of a quest, or a few hours. Others have lead to friendships that I still have.

When was the last time you reached out and made a friend in World of Warcraft? What were you doing? Was it a single serving friend or a more lasting relationship?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#19 - Dec. 17, 2013, 9:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This is weird. I honestly didn't expect a post like this from a blue. It feels funny.

It's cool. I'm kind of a weird dude.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#26 - Dec. 17, 2013, 9:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I got invited to a guild wherein I've made several friends and was able to actually fix a good deal of my social anxiety.

That's awesome! The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, etc.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#35 - Dec. 17, 2013, 9:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
12/17/2013 01:20 PMPosted by Jujubiju
Back when I actually played my hunter, I used to help out other hunters. A lot of them ended up going to some of the more hardcore guilds on my server because of me.

Yes! This was many moons ago, but I ended up talking with a low level Rogue who was a bit frustrated with the class, so I gave him some pointers and directed him to some useful resources. He went on to become the raid leader of a realm first guild on that realm. It was incredibly rewarding seeing him come up, share his experiences with me, etc.

Sometimes just answering a question that was posed in a public channel can yield a memorable interaction.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#40 - Dec. 17, 2013, 9:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
12/17/2013 01:26 PMPosted by Rosenivy
Do forum friends count?

Absolutely. I've been known to roll alts on forum friend realms just to hang out.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#52 - Dec. 17, 2013, 9:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Than join the forum guild.

K! It would be fun to drop in now and again. =D

have you been spying on us? :P

Only you.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#54 - Dec. 17, 2013, 9:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
can i give you some candy now?

I'm a big fan of meiji's gummy choco. Odd, but delicious.

But friends! Let's stay on topic!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#57 - Dec. 17, 2013, 9:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I may do something like that on a near daily basis and 97% of the time, it is as if I were invisable but thats ok, it still makes me feel good.

That's how kindness works everywhere though, right? It's still rewarding unto itself, I think.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#83 - Dec. 17, 2013, 9:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm always giving a hand regardless of faction as I adventure

Hahaha, I kind of love the cross faction charades that can happen when you're helping an opposite faction player. Especially on a PvP realm, hah.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#136 - Dec. 17, 2013, 11:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I gave him my battletag, but he never added me. But hey, at least I tried. Has to count for something.

Maybe he was young? I think you helped, and that counts.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#157 - Dec. 18, 2013, 12:32 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Thanks for this thread Daxxarri

It's my pleasure! I like just hanging out when I can. (╯゚ヮ゚)╯︵ ♥♥♥♥

EDIT: I'm adorable now, with my little feets and mustache.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#159 - Dec. 18, 2013, 12:41 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Woah woah woah woah.

No Immortal anymore :(

Breaking my heart.

I'm still immortal, I just have style now. Personally, I welcome our new culinarily accomplished robot overlord.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#169 - Dec. 18, 2013, 1:02 a.m.
Blizzard Post
12/17/2013 04:47 PMPosted by Monalissa
I guess they think I'm smug maybe or too bossy...

Well, I think you're nice.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#171 - Dec. 18, 2013, 1:06 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I'll be making you soon on one of my engineers. I know what I'm naming him now. :D

Verily, I am honored sir. May you cook many delicious meals on top of my head.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#187 - Dec. 18, 2013, 1:40 a.m.
Blizzard Post
But like Monalissa I'm kinda alone in this game still. I either play with randoms or my little brother. I guess I become too defensive when people start to want to become friends. I guess I'm just afraid of disappointing people that I may not be that nice all the time. Oh snap, this post quickly became psychological testimonial.

Not to dig too deep, but World of Warcraft isn't a bad place to stretch your wings a bit.

Oh snap. I mixed those metaphors like a blender on liquify.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#216 - Dec. 18, 2013, 4:12 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Your new avatar (to me) looks like he's grooving to Stevie Wonder's Superstition. Try it. It's amazing.

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

That. Is. Amazing.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#219 - Dec. 18, 2013, 4:17 a.m.
Blizzard Post
12/17/2013 08:15 PMPosted by Aeolyn

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

That. Is. Amazing.

I literally laughed out loud that you bothered to give it a go. +1, man. Glad to entertain.

Me too! I used this version. Perfect.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#225 - Dec. 18, 2013, 4:38 a.m.
Blizzard Post
You helped me stay away from PvP.

You know what you posted.

Let the blood be spilled? Ah, yes.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#320 - Dec. 18, 2013, 8:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This subject is allittle sensitive for me, but the story does have some good parts to it as to how I met an awesome friend.

Her name in short was Bela, and she was a wonderful shaman healer. At first she was not confident in her abilities and usually would get into fights with people because she would try her hardest to heal raids as best she could, but she kept doing little things wrong that would get her removed from groups often.

I caught onto this trend and finally sat down with her, knowing she knew nothing about me or who i even was. She got so tempermental believing that I was another jerk trying to tell her she sucks. On the contrary, she was very good at what she does, but her gems, enchants, forges were all wrong for her. I did the research and did my best to get her to trust me on this. I told her "if I am wrong, then I will help you farm Alar every week until you get it." she hesitated, but went into a raid with me. she found her heals were bigger, mana was more effiecent, and groups fell inlove with her and invited her more.

Over the course of a few years we had become best friends and even fell for one another. Sadly between her and I, we decided it was not a good idea to be together. She was born with a disfunction in her brain that caused her to have seizures and she didn't want anyone to put up with that. Sadly, September of this year, she had passed away from a major that made her go brain dead and her parents had to let her go. Everyday I go to the spot I met her and take a moment to pay my respects when I am in game. The best memory I have of her is seeing how truly happy she was when she was finally able to raid without hassle and enjoy the game as much as I have. I miss her, and spread that same help to others I come across in her memory.
She was a awesome friend and touched my heart. Her only wish was for me to continue to make friends and be who I am, thats a wish I intend to grant.

I came back to read the posts that I'd missed, and I got a little misty reading this post.

This was truly touching Curemaster, and while I know that revisiting memories like this can be painful, I'm grateful that you shared this with us.

I'm happy that you had a chance to know her, though, and I imagine that your presence in her life was a bright spot as well.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#348 - Dec. 19, 2013, 3:33 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Daxx, your new avatar reminds me that I need to stop selling my living steel and give them to my engineer to make that stupid pet.

{◕ へ ◕}

I mean, um, that awesome pet that is totally worth my time and effort.

\{◕ O ◕}/ ♥
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#350 - Dec. 19, 2013, 3:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
<----- First post ever
After years of of wow i quit playing for a long time. I returned about a year ago or so with a new account Started from scratch. I picked a random server and got the usuall guild spam invites finally accepted one. After joining a few of them in Dolby we have all become close friends and play together most nights. I enjoy wow now more than i ever did before thanks to theses new friends

Awesome. Welcome to the forums!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#351 - Dec. 19, 2013, 3:41 a.m.
Blizzard Post
This is a dead issue. The fact that this was a blue post is laughable. They, after all, created the World of Solocraft all by themselves. Making happy posts about it changes nothing.

In most respects, I completely disagree. It's been my experience, and it seems that of many others, that making friends in-game has always required some initiative. Is it easier to jump into activities now without being forced to hang out in public channels for a long time to assemble groups? Yes. Do people talk less to each other? I think that's arguable. I can't count the number of Strath runs I did back in the day (too many) where we'd assemble the group in General and finish the whole thing (an hour or two because classic Dungeons) without saying much.

I still don't have the Baron's mount come to think of it. >=(