Now We're Cookin'

#0 - Sept. 24, 2009, 5:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm new to WoW and this is my Main. I'm having a great time chasing the Brewmaster achievement and figured I would start collecting achievements for the Violet Protodrake next year.

Well, looking ahead at what's required, I found the achievement "Now we're Cookin'" which requires me to cook five or six items. Is this true? Do I have to level a profession that I find to be stupid just to get this Meta? Is there another means of completing this without cooking?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would Blizzard require us to have a particular profession in order to complete a World Event Meta achievement? I, personally, will not level cooking or fishing on this tune because I think they are silly professions... I'm sure there are people who enjoy them but I don't. So now I'm permanently blocked from getting the 'Long Strange Trip' Meta achievement? That really takes the wind out of my sails and makes me wonder if I should bother with the rest of this festival.
#54 - Sept. 24, 2009, 6:55 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Some holiday achievements require near maximum-level PvE content. This remains so even if people aren't inclined to reach maximum level.

Some holiday achievements require players to go into battlegrounds. This remains so even if people aren't inclined to get honorable kills on their character.

And, yes, some holiday achievements require skill in a secondary profession, and we have no plans to change that.

The holiday achievements are not necessary to advance your character. If you want a title or the mount reward at the very end of What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been, however, you will have to participate at least marginally in all these aspects of the game.

The holidays are designed to allow a large breadth of the playerbase to participate in some form, and there's normally something for you to do within the holiday itself. How much you choose to participate is up to you. If you choose to pursue the achievements, then you will have to participate in all these aspects of gameplay. That is absolutely by design and not something we plan to change currently.

That said, if leveling your cooking for Winter Veil seems like a tedious task, I suggest you wait until Pilgrim's Bounty.... :)
#68 - Sept. 24, 2009, 7:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Man... 4 pages of BS for nothing... not even the blue realized.

Pilgrim's Bounty

is

not

part

of

What a Long Strange Trip...

http://www.wowhead.com/?achievement=2144

10 holidays total, 8 are a part of the meta.

Winter Veil, however, is, and requires cooking in order to complete; everything I stated is valid.

I do know my content, thank you. ;)
#94 - Sept. 24, 2009, 8:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

To be fair and honest though, the Winter's Veil cooking recipes can be done with something like 50 cooking skill, at least the last time I checked, which is easily reachable even at level 5.

325, actually.