Leveling and dungeons are disgrace

#1 - Oct. 17, 2013, 8:07 a.m.
Blizzard Post
My 7 days of free game time are about to expire. Thank you Blizzard for that offer, it allowed me to check out game a little bit.

I don't have any high level characters on this account, so those 7 days were spent leveling 2 characters. No heirlooms.

I used to love leveling. After taking break at the beginning of TBC I've returned, made new character and spent months slowly leveling it, enjoying all content. Then I did the same near end of WoTLK when ability to turn off XP was introduced, even got Loremaster of Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms achievements on that alt at level 60. Leveling was fun. But now leveling is completely ruined.

Dungeons used to be fun. Now they are just means to an end and require no thinking at all.

Tank just rushes in, pulls whole room and AOE's it. The only thing tank has to do is hit mob once and mob will love tank until its death (so for next 5 seconds). As healer I just roll 3 stacks of LB on tank and continue skinning/mining/looting while 20+ mobs are scratching tank. When I'm DPS in dungeon I hope to cast 2-3 spells before all mobs die. Boss tactics? What tactics?

Questing used to be fun too. Some quests took from one zone to another, there used to be hard challenging quests. Now quest givers are placed directly near where I need to kill stuff or collect items, the only challenge is to round up 5-6 mobs with dots and watch them die. I can't complete any zone because quests turn gray.

Hard mobs? No such thing. Mobs around my level die from 2 dots and 1 additional spell cast. At level 69 I was mining in Northrend, flew into Wintergrasp. Level ?? mob (70 or 71) attacked me and I thought I would die. Nope, not possible. Mob died in 15 seconds barely scratching me. Soloed most of Ring of Blood in Nagrand, except for last 2 bosses.

What is wrong with game? Abilities are so messed up that player can kill anything without any effort. Mobs are so messed up that they can't hurt any player.

Is game designed for players who have no brains at all? For game to be successful it should require players to think. WoW in current state doesn't require that. It is for brain dead people. Current state of leveling and dungeons is disgrace.

Thank you Blizzard for 7 days of free game time, but I won't be subscribing.
Forum Avatar
Community
#13 - Oct. 17, 2013, 10:37 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Try to remember that, compared to a brand new MMO player, those of you who've been gamers for a while and are familiar with games in this genre are bound to find levelling content fairly straight forward.

Many people pick up WoW as their first MMO, with zero knowledge about the different classes and races, let alone talent specs, skills and attributes. They may not know some of the things you don't even think about like, as a Mage, you should pick Intellect over Strength, Spirit over Agility. They won't pick a new class and spend an hour or two looking up rotations or recommended talents, which addons to get, how to enchant, glyph, gem or reforge to get the best from their toon.

The game has to be forgiving to people like that, while still engaging for those of us who've been playing for years, and sure, that must be tricky for the devs at times. But as someone who has always enjoyed levelling new characters, I truly feel the questing nowadays is much more enjoyable than before.
Forum Avatar
Community
#17 - Oct. 17, 2013, 11:09 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Good points made by all! Constructive discussions are always very helpful, and very much appreciated. Thanks, and please do continue :)
Forum Avatar
Community
#57 - Oct. 17, 2013, 2:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We understand that for certain individuals the game may at times come across as simplistic and easy compared to X years ago. Yet as Takralus pointed out earlier, it's important to us that the overall gaming experience is welcoming and fun for newcomers.

A number of changes were intentionally aimed at breaking down the vast amount of information within WoW, into manageable chunks.

That being said we're also keen on creating games with flexibility so they can be played the way players want to. Examples of these would be the flexible raid system or monster power in Diablo.