Moderating RP Servers

#1 - Oct. 1, 2013, 3:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
What happened to the old days when the GMs sat in the game and monitored the chat channels in-real-time; marking non-rp names, spam, trolling, and in some cases, speaking without brackets? (For RP servers)

With ignore lists filling up and seeing how it becomes more and more acceptable for the rude and offensive non-rp'ers come to our servers and ruin the fun for everyone else, I'm requesting that something be done about it. There is a particular person that trolls trade on a nightly basis that I have reported for name and for language several times, yet this person is always on -- which would point to the conclusion that this person is not being disciplined. How does the report function work? Is it similar to the vote kick function in LFR, where 4 or 5 different people need to report a particular person in order for it to register an official complaint?

It's not that I'm "offended" and I am fully aware of the Mature Language feature, but I do long for times past when we didn't have to put our heads in the sand to get away from the negativity, but rather had the GMs nip the probs in the bud.

I miss that kind of interaction and quality control that we used to have. Why did it leave? Where did it go, and is it ever going to return? This post was not made to vent, but because I am really curious as to why this all changed.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#21 - Oct. 1, 2013, 3:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Just to be clear, we have NEVER just sat in-game and monitored chat channels, ever.

There have been brief periods of time when certain hot-spots may have had that happen, but it's not 'normal', nor is it on-going.

That's what our reporting system is for. If you see a violation, feel free to report and it will be reviewed.

~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~

Got Feedback? Click me.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#24 - Oct. 1, 2013, 4:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We are never going to have the manpower to do what you are asking, Mungrim. You do realize how many realms there are - two factions, multiple areas, right?

We've always preferred to educate players, when that doesn't work, the penalties do progress - until they eventually lose access to their account on a permanent basis. As to a penalty having no consequences when it's applied, it may be when they are offline - it can also happen when they are in the middle of a raid. Penalties get applied when the offense is reviewed.

That would be covered under our article on the Penalty Volcano.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#45 - Oct. 1, 2013, 4:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Perhaps you're just overthinking the whole thing. Trade chat scrolls enough for me to keep up when I'm sitting there in between queues. Pay 2 guys for 8 hours at a time (ON JUST THE RP SERVERS) to just sit there and read trade, with a 1 click button to mark for renaming ... how hard is that? That'd probably be one of the easiest jobs you'd ever have.

And you've essentially just described what every player can do - on their own, so that a Game Masters time can be spent actually looking into offenses.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#58 - Oct. 1, 2013, 5:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
It usually does take more than one name report, if a name is egregious enough, that usually doesn't take long.

RP names are a judgement call. That's the thing with RP, no one, NO ONE, can put a definitive definition on it. Some players RP 'lite', others are totally hardcore. Whose rules would you have us follow?

We've guidelines that are applied against reports. Those try to take a reasonable middle of the road stance on such things - and people are often forced to name change on those sorts of realms when in flagrant violation.

For what it's worth, I got my RP education a couple decades ago, in another game. The single rule we could not violate as a volunteer was 'breaking character', ever. It's quite eye-opening when you have that requirement, just how to deal with others. They cannot break your immersion if you take the world as it is presented to you and work them into YOUR fiction. In many cases, that was pondering which village was missing their idiot. :P
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#71 - Oct. 1, 2013, 6:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
<clip>

Those names are a violation of the TOS AND the naming rules of RP servers. They should not require several reports. It's against the rules. Why do the GM"s need a majority vote in order to do their job?

Yes they are, and for a report to be generated, enough of your fellow players need to report the name so it comes to our attention.

I do believe this one has pretty much covered all the productive points, I'll be locking this now.