Warrior Class Overview

#1 - Sept. 7, 2013, 7:07 p.m.
Blizzard Post
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10875180/New_Player_Guides_%E2%80%93_Warrior_Class_Overview-9_7_2013

Edit;

So, let's crowd source this. You guys say that there are errors, and I want to correct them.

Please keep in mind that this overview isn't for advanced, end-game players. It's to give someone who might have never played a Warrior (or an MMO at all) before some sense of a classes’ capabilities at a very basic level, and what end-game with the class could be like. The information needs to be pretty generalized with that goal in mind while still providing some direction. Refining their Warrior will be up to them depending on what style of play fits them best.

As an example, I pointed out that Strength was a Warrior’s go to stat, and some of the comments expressed frustration with that statement. That was for a player who has never played World of Warcraft before, and might not understand what stats are most useful to them at beginning levels. They could inadvertently pick an item with Agility or Intellect without realizing that it isn’t the most useful stat. That might seem crazy to you, but it happens all the time.

This isn't the place to complain about class balance and lobby for buffs, but , I invite you to help me improve the overview. Giving good information to new players is way more important to me than my pride... which is why I'm making this post.

Your help in making this a more useful resource for new players who might want to play a Warrior, is welcome. Keep in mind though, high-end gear, gemming, and enchanting is for high-end play and should be left out as to not confuse a truly new player.

Thanks!

Ok, lets help them out.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#18 - Sept. 9, 2013, 6:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Yeah, I read the original post. For myself or other long time WoWers, it doesn't bother me that there is so much incorrect information. It does, on the other hand, bother me that this is directed at newer players and will give them the wrong impression.

So, let's crowd source this. You guys say that there are errors, and I want to correct them.

Please keep in mind that this overview isn't for advanced, end-game players. It's to give someone who might have never played a Warrior (or an MMO at all) before some sense of a classes’ capabilities at a very basic level, and what end-game with the class could be like. The information needs to be pretty generalized with that goal in mind while still providing some direction. Refining their Warrior will be up to them depending on what style of play fits them best.

As an example, I pointed out that Strength was a Warrior’s go to stat, and some of the comments expressed frustration with that statement. That was for a player who has never played World of Warcraft before, and might not understand what stats are most useful to them at beginning levels. They could inadvertently pick an item with Agility or Intellect without realizing that it isn’t the most useful stat. That might seem crazy to you, but it happens all the time.

This isn't the place to complain about class balance and lobby for buffs, but , I invite you to help me improve the overview. Giving good information to new players is way more important to me than my pride... which is why I'm making this post.

Your help in making this a more useful resource for new players who might want to play a Warrior, is welcome. Keep in mind though, high-end gear, gemming, and enchanting is for high-end play and should be left out as to not confuse a truly new player.

Thanks!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#20 - Sept. 9, 2013, 6:55 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Arguably however, if this information wasn't introduced in the form of a quest or a trainer, I don't know how much more useful it would be online. But let's not slander Blizzard however for trying to improve the player base's knowledge. There has been a lot of community support for blizzard in taking the time to do something like this.

That's a reasonable statement, actually. We're looking at eventually assembling these guides into a location where new players--perhaps even those that have never even downloaded World of Warcraft--might run into them.

At this point, I want to present a pretty clear picture of each class I write an overview for, to give new players a good idea of what they might want to play, and to help them avoid pitfalls or needless frustration as they get into World of Warcraft.

I was hoping you guys might help point out sections that you take real issue with, and then we can find a better way to phrase them.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#41 - Sept. 9, 2013, 11:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
You may want to make a thread in the classes forums for ideas when you make future ones.

I think that's a good idea, and I was already considering doing that in the future.

Also, thanks for the constructive feedback guys, I appreciate it -- please keep it coming. I'll do a revision as soon as other projects allow.