"Your name has been flagged for rename"

#1 - Aug. 27, 2013, 4:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Yesterday I transferred my Paladin to another realm.

I chose the name Cersei and played for about four hours on her. This is a name that I reserved on the server about two weeks ago. Now, I am getting a pop-up telling me I have to rename my character.

A search of the armory reveals the name is allowed for multiple players across various realms.

I have opened a ticket for GM assistance.

Anyone have a clue what might be causing this sudden loss of a name that I have had for weeks?
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#25 - Aug. 27, 2013, 11:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
To give resolution to this situation, I had a ticket to be serviced for an unrelated matter. The GM was very understanding and confirmed what others had said about a transfer bug with the rename gump. They removed the rename flag.

I am appreciative to the posters here and the Blizzard staff for their assistance.

Excellent news, Tyshe, thank you for the update.

To clarify, this particular bug happens when using the character transfer/faction change service together. What happens is when a character is transferred and there is a naming conflict (i.e. a character with that name already exists on that realm) the system will flag the transferring character for a rename. That is normal.

The system won't allow you to log into the character until the name has been changed and that conflict is resolved. The bug occurs if you use the name change option from the faction change service to resolve the name conflict. The naming flag will be temporarily removed, you'll be able to log in and play normally but at some point, in an hour or a day, the system will reapply the flag again. That is the issue that our QA department is working to resolved, though it is proving more complicated when we had hoped for.

You can usually avoid the issue entirely by renaming the character by logging into it prior to using the faction change option. Otherwise, you'll need to contact our In-Game support staff so they can manually remove the flagging or recover the name if you renamed it a second time.

~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~

How's my driving? Click me.