Rose tinted glasses

#1 - Aug. 27, 2013, 10:39 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Why does blizzard and everyone on the forums seem to think anyone who enjoyed vanilla or tbc is nostalgic and wearing rose tinted glasses. Have you ever considered that some people may have genuinely enjoyed vanilla? They may have liked the game design because of the reasons you use to claim it was a horrible game eg having to gather a group for a dungeon. Why does blizzard and most people on these forums feel the need to dismiss any love of vanilla as nostalgia. Some people geniunly liked the game
Forum Avatar
Community
#12 - Aug. 27, 2013, 12:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
27/08/2013 11:39Posted by Manowar
Have you ever considered that some people may have genuinely enjoyed vanilla?

I have no doubt that there are people out there who remember Vanilla World of Warcraft for how it really was, who can list all Vanilla gameplay systems and features in exact detail, and who still prefer the game as it was back then despite all the progress and additions that have happened since. These people would certainly enjoy playing the Vanilla game if they could, and I can understand if it is frustrating for these people to be placed into the same group as those people who actually are nostalgic.

The thing is though, that there are a lot more people who are nostalgic than people who are not. Those people who are nostalgic have some great memories of fun times they had back when the game was new and when they were playing with their first characters in their first guilds. But often these people are treasuring their good memories, while at the same time forgetting (or downplaying) the not so great things from back then. If they could play Vanilla today, they would most likely not find the same level of fun they had back when they were new to the game, and they would most likely be annoyed by the lack of many of the quality-of-life improvements that have been added to the game since then.

Whether or not people are nostalgic is certainly something that there are a lot of different opinions on, and we fully acknowledge and appreciate that. That being said however (and I know this may come across as being harsh or dismissing to some), the developers have the final word in the end. Their preference currently is to keep the game moving forward, and this means that their philosophy is to keep evolving and expanding the World of Warcraft universe - supporting old versions of the game does not fit well with that philosophy.
Forum Avatar
Community
#125 - Aug. 30, 2013, 2:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
29/08/2013 13:26Posted by Manowar
people who talk and praise vanilla sound like my almos 70 year old father memorising the 60's it sound so ridiculous that it has become a joke.
the 60's had its good points and bad points just like vanilla did. I have no doubt many people would genuinely enjoy living in the 60's just like many people would genuinely enjoy playing vanilla wow again. Its not just nostalgia some people actually preferred it back then

And this what was I was trying to acknowledge in my original post; Although our developers want to the game to keep evolving, we are not trying to dismiss everyone who wants classic realms as being "nostalgic" or "wearing rose tinted glasses"... Many are nostalgic for sure, but there are also those who are not, and who have made quite constructive posts to why they prefer the classic game.