Could Beta Reward repel new players?

#1 - Aug. 7, 2013, 7:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The reward for making a purchase from the market during beta is: a gold version of Gelbin Mekkatorque. You will keep this card upon game release, but no one will be able to obtain the golden version after release, ever.

Because this game is a CCG, where completing a collection means everything to some players, do you think this reward is fair to those who join the game after release? I'm lending my voice to card collectors (specifically completionists) out there who will not find the game until after release.

I bring this question up because I don't want Hearthstone to potentially repel new players (specifically completionists) because they are unable to obtain the gold Gelbin Mekkatorque because they weren't around during beta.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My own personal thoughts on this topic are:
All of the cards are still collectible/craftable in their regular form, and I don't see Blizzard changing this. They've shown that they don't include gold versions of cards in the category of 'anyone at anytime can obtain them for free', which is fine. Like others have mentioned before, this opens up promotional opportunities where special gold versions of cards can be rewards. This may not sit well with completionists, but I have a feeling they are such a tiny fraction of the playerbase it won't make too much of a difference.

It is nice to finally know Blizzard's stance on the matter. We can all update our expectations accordingly.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#18 - Aug. 7, 2013, 10:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
"We’re pleased to reveal that that gift will be a golden version of Gelbin Mekkatorque, which will be available throughout the closed and open beta tests. When you purchase card packs or an Arena ticket in any phase of the beta test, you will be granted the golden Gelbin Mekkatorque; he won't be available through crafting or getting a lucky hit inside a card pack. Once the game has released, you can still craft a regular Mekkatorque if you save up enough arcane dust."

The above says you can craft a "regular".. interpreted by me means you cant craft a golden version.. but maybe that needs to be clarified...

Participating in the beta and making a purchase will be the only way to acquire the golden Gelbin Mekkatorque. He will not be available through crafting.

You can craft the non-Gold version of Gelbin.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#19 - Aug. 7, 2013, 10:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
08/07/2013 03:34 PMPosted by Sar
The card will be attainable by everyone once the game launches (it sounds like during beta it won't be available other than the perk). However, those who get the perk will get it immediately without having to craft it or get it from packs. Gold legendaries are expensive, so it's a decent perk, albeit on what in my opinion isn't all that great of a legendary.

This is incorrect. Participating in the beta is the only way to get a golden Gelbin Mekkatorque. You can craft a non-gold version at any time, but the gold version is only during beta and making a purchase.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#23 - Aug. 7, 2013, 11:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This is incorrect. Participating in the beta is the only way to get a golden Geblin Mekkatorque. You can craft a non-gold version at any time, but the gold version is only during beta and making a purchase.

Totally caught that ninja typo :D

Everyone in Teamspeak says Geblin. GEBLIN. GEBLINS EVERYWHERE.

I have been spelling that wrong all day D: GEBLIN GELBIN GURBLIN GLEBLIN
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#24 - Aug. 7, 2013, 11:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
08/07/2013 04:02 PMPosted by Sar

This is incorrect. Participating in the beta is the only way to get a golden Gelbin Mekkatorque. You can craft a non-gold version at any time, but the gold version is only during beta and making a purchase.

My apologies, I misread the original post, thank you for the clarification.

Not a problem, I am here to help!