The Consistency of Rules

#1 - July 17, 2013, 1:59 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Now obviously this is Blizzards game and they can do whatever the frigjig they want for rulings, but I'm seeing a drop in consistency for the sake simplicity (Notice the clarified rulings of Stealth and Jaraxxus).

Free game, I'm still going to try it, will still probably be fun, but I find it's getting as contradictory as the English language. I can feel the pleasure of the game slipping each day.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#3 - July 17, 2013, 2:10 a.m.
Blizzard Post
As Hearthstone is currently still in its Alpha phase, cards, rules, wording and other aspects of the game are subject to change. They are also subject to change in the Beta phase.

Making rules assumptions if wording is not clear will just make you a little sad if you end up being incorrect, so it's best to ask questions if there are still questions to be had after the initial answer.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#49 - July 18, 2013, 12:27 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hey Zeriyah, thanks for clearing all this info up.

While we're sort of on the subject of targeting our own minions, there was a thread a couple days ago about the ability to attack our own minions (just a normal basic attack). We know we can target our own minions with Hero Powers and spells, but do basic attacks work the same way? Can our Hero attack our minions? Can minions attack friendly minions?

It seems like kind of a redundant question (considering we can target friendly minions with spells), but I think the general consensus in that thread was that we can't attack friendlies.

Heroes and minions can attack any opposing character, be it minion or hero. Friendly minions cannot attack each other, but may target each other with Battlecry effects as long as the ability does not specify friendly or opposing.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#51 - July 18, 2013, 12:37 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I would suggest then the wording itself of Stealth be changed to reflect it only applies to the opponent.

But while you're here Zeriyah, Goddess of Rule Clearifications, there is one that's be bothering me. Battlecrys, do they HAVE to happen if there is a valid target? Since there is no "You may" in Hearthstone it's a bit harder to judge.

Example: I have Knife Juggler out and play Ironbeak Owl while my opponent doesn't have any minions, do I need to silence my Knife Juggler?

Battlecry effects only need to have a valid target if one if available. Minions with Battlecry can NOT target themselves. If there is no valid target in play, the minion will enter the battlefield with no effect. In the case of Knife Juggler and Ironbeak Owl, you would have to silence your Knife Juggler.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#52 - July 18, 2013, 12:38 a.m.
Blizzard Post
07/17/2013 05:35 PMPosted by azj6
Once you buff your friendly minion(who has stealth) with a spell does that remove stealth?

No, it does not.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#53 - July 18, 2013, 12:47 a.m.
Blizzard Post
It looks like wording of stealth must be changed (I dont blame anyone, we are still in alpha, wordings/efects just change), but what about "the other stealth"?

I am specifically talking about Faerie Dragon.
Can he be also targeterd with friendly spells and his description must also be changed, or is he exceprion to "stealth minions" just like Jaraxxus to battlecryes?

Faerie Dragon and Laughing Sister cannot be targeted by spells and effects that specifically target a minion, friendly or enemy. These minions are still able to be affected by Secrets if they meet the correct requirement for activating it, such as Snipe. Playing either of these minions (Faerie Dragon or Laughing Sister) while your opponent has a Snipe in play will result with these minions receiving 4 damage. Spells that can randomly hit minions and AOE spells are not spells that target - Therefore, these minions can be on the receiving end of these spells as well.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#55 - July 18, 2013, 5:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/17/2013 07:17 PMPosted by Catelinus
Heroes and minions can attack any opposing character, be it minion or hero. Friendly minions cannot attack each other

Just to be sure : I can attack my own minions with my hero :

a) yes
b) no

minion -> friendly minion = no
minion -> opponent (minion/hero) = yes
hero -> opponent (minion/hero) = yes
hero -> friendly minion = ?

B.) No. Your hero cannot attack your friendly minions.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#61 - July 18, 2013, 6:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Your Hero cannot attack your friendly minions with an equipped weapon. Mages can still use their Hero Power on friendly minions - Hero Powers are not considered attacks.