Declining quality of wow armour sets...

#1 - July 2, 2013, 9:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This is not really much of a whine, but more of an observation/recommendation......I have been playing this game since vanilla, and since then I have noticed that class armour sets have become more bland, unimaginative and forgettable as the expansions have progressed.

The original dungeon sets and tiers 1-6 were very distinctive and iconic, and the remain so to this day.

However I found that wotlk was the tipping point, where the armors began to get boring and unimaginative, however there still were some awesome looking sets,( I.e. dark runed set, frostfire set etc...), however in cata and mop the decline is obvious... There has been no effort to make pvp and Pve epic armor sets aesthetically pleasing. The textures have become drab grey/brown/rusty in color, and look worse than wotlk greens!

Maybe the transmog feature has made devs and artists lazy.. Or they just don't care anymore.. But would nice to see the art quality of armour sets return to tbc/ vanilla standards...
Forum Avatar
Community
#32 - July 3, 2013, 9:32 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I think it comes down to personal taste

I think you are right, and since taste is one of those things that are in the eye of the beholder, this is a topic that is virtually impossible to discuss objectively :-)

That being said, I still think this is an interesting discussion and I am personally hoping to see more posts from you guys about what you particularly like or dislike about any given armor set and why.
Forum Avatar
Community
#77 - July 3, 2013, 11:50 a.m.
Blizzard Post
"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"...

/off-topic: Nice :-)

/on-topic:

And this. All the armor use "faded" color schemes. I miss it when the red was RED and the gold was GOLD, not red-ish and gold-ish after lying in the sun and dust for several decades. The armor just doesn't pop anymore.

Truly colourful gear that really pop can be very cool indeed, the problem with this though is when characters have a mismatch of different colourful armor sets equipped. We received quite a lot of negative feedback back in the day during TBC about "clown gear" making characters look silly, and there were a lot of requests for more toned down armor sets that would allow for better looks when mixing and matching pieces between different sets.

As you can imagine, it is a rather big artistic challenge to find a good balance that will allow for both colourful and unique looking armor sets that will not look out of place when mixed with other gear :-)
Forum Avatar
Community
#180 - July 4, 2013, 8:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Also, i am aware i do not know the official statistics of the gear that ppl transmog but I am 100% positive that majority of transmog is from Vanilla and TBC.

You wouldn't even dare try and lie to prove me wrong so tell the creators to make more camp, fancy gear!!!!!

Vanilla and TBC armor sets are very popular transmog items, and for good reason as many of those sets are iconic and classic Warcraft. On top of that there are also quite a few old-school players who have good memories associated with these sets, so there are definitely more to the attractiveness of them than just the art and design :-)

Additionally, it is much easier to get the complete classic sets today than it was back when they were high end gear, and this also has an influence on their popularity today because many are finally completing their armor sets that some have been trying to collect for years. Back in the day, if you were not one of the few players who were able to get the complete armor sets and only had a couple of pieces, you often had other pieces equipped that didn't match artistically, which for many resulted in the aforementioned "clown look". This mismatched look issue is much less apparent today as most of the newer sets are more easily matched with pieces from different sets.