5.4 Paladin Burden of Guilt Change.

#1 - June 14, 2013, 12:45 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Not a fan of this proposed 5.4 Change:

• Burden of Guilt has been replaced with a new talent called Evil is a Point of View, which allows the Paladin to use Turn Evil on players and beasts.

Don't we already have this ability, Repentance. From a PvP perspective, I do not need two talents that accomplish roughly the same thing on the same tier. Personally, I'm not happy with you affecting my ability to kite melee class players.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#39 - July 2, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
A few points of clarification:

First off, we don't feel that this change is adding more crowd control to the game. As several posters in this thread have pointed out, taking Evil is a Point of View means you aren't taking Fist of Justice (which the vast majority of PvP Paladins are using in 5.3) or Repentance. You're sacrificing (or significantly weakening) one form of CC in order to gain another.

That said, it does allow access to a different form of CC. We feel it will open up some more options for Paladins in different Arena compositions. Though it may be less desirable if you're running with, for example, a Warlock or Priest, you may prefer it if you're with, say, a Rogue or Feral Druid.

We're also seeing very, very little usage out of Burden of Guilt. Right now, as I mentioned, the vast majority of PvP Paladins are using Fist of Justice. Of the remainder, most are taking Repentance. In fact, the majority of players taking Burden of Guilt are using it as Protection in PvE, and even then it's a very small percentage.

That said, we are still monitoring feedback very closely (that's what the PTR is for, after all). Hopefully this helps clear up our thinking a bit so that the discussion can continue!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#51 - July 2, 2013, 8:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/02/2013 01:28 PMPosted by Grimbold
That said, it does allow access to a different form of CC. We feel it will open up some more options for Paladins in different Arena compositions. Though it may be less desirable if you're running with, for example, a Warlock or Priest, you may prefer it if you're with, say, a Rogue or Feral Druid.

The fact that there are so many forms of cc with different DRs available to different classes is exactly why so many people feel cc is out of control in pvp right now, why the heck would you intentionally make the problem worse?

This change doesn't add any more CC to the teams that are already heavily stacking it -- those teams will likely continue using Fist of Justice (or in some cases Repentance) as they are currently. It just allows the Paladin more options when they're on a team that doesn't synergize quite as well with another stun or incapacitate.

The diminishing returns issue is one we've talked about a few times. It's definitely a concern, but not one that we can really effectively address mid-expansion.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#54 - July 2, 2013, 8:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/02/2013 01:36 PMPosted by Turranmc
Even further, by taking the talent you can no longer use Turn Evil against Undead/Demons which I'm using now more than ever before due to the prevalence of Priests/Warlocks/DKs where it's very useful.

To clarify: you will still be able to cast Turn Evil against Undead and Demons with the talent selected. Not sure if that's what you were suggesting or not (I can see why you wouldn't want to) but wanted to make sure.