Biggest and Best Frost Mage damage & tips please?

#1 - June 28, 2013, 7:53 a.m.
Blizzard Post
About to start playing my frost mage and would love to have some help from a couple of experienced mages...

1) What is the best way to go about causing the MOST damage in the SHORTEST period of time? Is there some sort of correct way to line up my abilities??

2) Any other tips on how I can get the most out of my abilities?

I will most likely be starting out in 2s with a Rogue

I have also noticed that there is a severe lack of guides for mages in 5.3 or just MoP in general!

Perhaps somebody of over 2.2k rating wouldn't mind making an arena guide for them on the forums somewhere?
Forum Avatar
Community
#10 - June 28, 2013, 3:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
28/06/2013 08:53Posted by Psychomantís
1) What is the best way to go about causing the MOST damage in the SHORTEST period of time? Is there some sort of correct way to line up my abilities??

Mages can put out some pretty heavy burst with Frozen Orb and Deep Freeze, usually the way to achieve this is by making sure that you are using glyph of deep freeze in order to remove the global cooldown, but you also can go with either Glyph of Ice Lance/Ice Block or something else, although your individual burst will probably be slightly harder to achieve a longer deep freeze can be beneficial for the rest of the team.

The "rotation" would be something like:
    - Icy Veins + Trinket
    - Frost Bomb (or other bomb of your choice)
    - Frostbolt + Pet Nova right before the FB cast ends
    - Frozen Orb
    - Ice Lance + Deep Freeze (no GCD so use both at same time. Frost Bomb MUST detonate inside DF)
    - Alter Time
    - Ice Lance spam / Frostbolt
    - Frostfire Bolt

(Avoid using Frostfire Bolt with Brain Freeze procs when your target is inside a deep freeze as it’s kind of a waste, use it when the target isn’t frozen because FfB already treats targets as if they were frozen.)

Alternative:
Trinket -> Frost Bomb -> Frozen Orb -> pet Nova -> Deep Freeze + Ice Lance -> Icy Veins -> Alter Time -> Ice Lance Spam / Frostbolt -> Frostfire Bolt

Please take this with a grain of salt, I don’t have 2.7k+ xp with my alt mage but I do alright, as you said, it’s hard to get a good and updated PvP “rotation” guide so, hope this helps, even if just a little bit ;)

I’d appreciate it if any of the more experienced/gladiator Mages would improve on this or point out any mistakes, and I'll try to update the post later, thanks!