Ben Brode - you get around!

#1 - June 21, 2013, 1:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Opened up my WoW graphic novel last night and was reading through the intro credits... I see the usual people, Chris Metzen, Samwise, etc Then I do a double take: Ben Brode is mentioned!

What was your role with the graphic novels? Lore/story?

I did a bit of internet stalking and saw you created "Brawl" for iOS! That's very cool. You seem to be a programmer by day, CCG player by night.

I'm assuming you have a strong passion for the Warcraft world (not to be confused with the World of Warcraft, wink), mixed with a endearing fondness for CCG's... Being on the Hearthstone team must be your dream job!

What mechanics did you see from other games that you immediately wanted to tweak or utilize in Hearthstone?

Which CCG's have you played in the past? Which are your favorites and why?

Having the distinct WoW classes and getting them to play like their in-game counterparts is a strong theme in the game. Was this an obvious decision that was made prior to any sort of official production or did it happen organically after some initial design was started?

What's it been like to work on the game itself and coming up with the concepts and game mechanics? Do you have one or two that you are particularly proud of? (maybe a specific card even, not a general game mechanic?)

Which class are you going to try and focus on first? (if you're going to pick just one...) Which card are you looking forward to having in your collection most of all?

Thanks for taking the time to give a little insight into the design process and your opinions!

(This is also in no way to minimize the other 14 members of the team - I would actually love all 15 members to answer the above questions if they wanted to!! That would be great!!)
#5 - June 27, 2013, 12:11 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Haha your BattleTag is appropriate :)

What was your role with the graphic novels?

Hmm which one? I used to be a Producer here at Blizzard, so it’s possible that was one of the projects I worked on back in the day.

Being on the Hearthstone team must be your dream job!

You’re dang right! Not just because Hearthstone is super fun… Team 5 is rad-sauce.

Which CCG's have you played in the past?

Magic, Wyvern, Rage, Overpower, Battlespirits, Pokemon, Redekai, WoW:TCG, Shaman King, Game of Thrones, The Spoils, SimCity TCG, Netrunner, The Mortal Kombat TCG, Kingdom Hearts TCG, Pox Nora, FreeRealms, Warstorm Duels, Legends of Norrath, Star Wars Galaxies TCG, Spectromancer, BattleForge, etc. :)

What's it been like to work on the game itself and coming up with the concepts and game mechanics? Do you have one or two that you are particularly proud of?

This game is SUPER exciting to work on. I feel like we’ve taken the core fun of collectible card games and made it easy to pick up an play for everyone. Team 5 is a great mix of CCG veterans and some people who are new to the genre, and it’s been awesome to have both perspectives combine to make Hearthstone.

Which class are you going to try and focus on first?

I’ve been enjoying Paladin recently, but I really do enjoy playing them all.:)

Which card are you looking forward to having in your collection most of all?

Jaraxxus. *ahem* EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION!!~

Thanks for all the questions!