Better to promote and let us down ...

#1 - June 5, 2013, 5:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Than to say nothing at all.

I just read on MMO champion that the 'unannounced feature' for patch 5.4 will stay unannounced. As I'm reading the tweets GC suggests that he wishes he never said anything about it or any features for that matter. Stating that when he announces a new feature or functionality within the game and it doesn't pan out or arrive in time the community gets upset.

My response to that is, "What .. are you going to just say nothing?"

*Patch 5.4 includes ... <Find out on patch day cause we ain't saying nothin!>*

It may let down some yes, BUT its far better to tell us your plans, visions, direction and ideas and fall short than simply not saying anything. The first lets me know you guys are still creative, ambitious and still trying to push this game forward which has a greater chance to keep my subscription. The second makes me think you guys are lazy, don't give a damn and not confident in your abilities.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#40 - June 5, 2013, 8:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Than to say nothing at all. I just read on MMO champion that the 'unannounced feature' for patch 5.4 is essentially knifed in the belly. As I'm reading the tweets GC suggests that he wishes he never said anything about it or any features for that matter. Stating that when he announces a new feature or functionality within the game and it doesn't pan out or arrive in time the community gets upset.

My response to that is, "What .. are you going to just say nothing?"

*Patch 5.4 includes ... <Find out on patch day cause we ain't saying nothin!>*

It may let down some yes, BUT its far better to tell us your plans, visions, direction and ideas and fall short than simply not saying anything. The first lets me know you guys are still creative, ambitious and still trying to push this game forward which has a greater chance to keep my subscription. The second makes me think you guys are lazy, don't give a damn and not confident in your abilities.

Here's the issue we run into regularly. If we share incomplete information or "hint" at something without proper context, some people end up being disappointed when what they had in their head isn't what ends up being implemented.

Things change while in development. That means that even if we do give advanced information, it could change, and for some, that change may be construed as "worse" whether they've actually experienced it pre-change or not.

You may not mind when things change. Many people don't, but from our experience, most people tend to be a bit happier when they can get a more complete picture. I can assure you, the implication that the development team in any way shape or form is being "lazy" is far from reality. We're still working on many things at current and will do our best to get the information out to everyone at what is hopefully the best possible time, with the most accurate information possible.