Ask Phenteo/Zeriyah/Eldtyara <Part 2!>

#1 - May 3, 2013, 7:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Well.. the first Ask Phenteo has reached its post limit! Good job Hearthlings!
To cover all the bases I thought I would start up a new thread so you guys can continue posting your questions
Below you will find the Common Questions from the first post in the last thread

------>Common Questions and Their Answers!<------
(Apologies for the scroll bars... but it was the easiest way to display everything...)

[Q] When will Beta Start?
04/01/2013 10:23 AMPosted by Phenteo
Hopefully Soon™! We're targeting summer for beta and launch later this year.
[Q] What are Golden Cards?
04/01/2013 10:23 AMPosted by Phenteo
All cards found in a pack have a chance to be upgraded to a Golden Card when the pack is opened. The upgrade affects the appearance of the card but not its power. That being said, I am unsure if you can craft a card and have it be upgraded to a Golden card.
[Q] How many Cards are there for each class?
04/03/2013 02:13 PMPosted by Phenteo
the specific number of class cards for each class might change from how it is in Alpha, as such I don't want to promise a certain number before beta/launch. ;)
[Q] How much does HearthStone cost to play?
Hearthstone is free-to-play with the optional purchase of card packs.
[Q] How does the winning of card packs work?
as you play and win and get different metal ranks (which reset weekly) you will get an expert card pack when you win and rank up. Remember, as this game is still pre-beta, many game aspects may change.
[Q] Is there a limit to the number of boosters that can be won in a week?
04/10/2013 11:50 AMPosted by Phenteo
The number of free card packs you can get in a week hasn't be set or shared yet. But, if you're winning games I don't see a limit.
[Q] Will Hearthstone be implemented inside of the WoW Client?
Hearthstone is a stand alone game, though several players have asked if they could play from within WoW and the devs are aware. :)
[Q] Is there intention on pushing Hearthstone into high competitive events?
The devs will be more than happy to add elements to the game for eSports should this become a huge request and we can see that this would help our players.

Original Thread: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/post/84801352423
Thanks once again for posting questions guys
oh, and Phenteo if you read this could you possibly extend the posting capabilities of the previous thread? and if you do delete this one?

Thanks Phenteo
#4 - May 3, 2013, 10:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Haha, REALLY? We managed to cap that thread? We REALLY want Hearthstone don't we..?

Well, just because I can:

Phenteo, will Paladins get Consecrate =D?

Maybe! Depends who's asking. ;)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#157 - May 21, 2013, 4:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hey Phenteo/ZerinaX

If I play Rampage on an Enraged Minion, for ex. a Shieldbearer, and then later that minion is healed to full health. Does the Rampage +3/+3 stay or go.

So...

Shieldbearer 0/4, takes a hit, becomes 1/3, is rampaged, becomes 4/6, stupid priest heals him to full, is he a 3/7 or back to 0/4?

Once Rampage is cast, it will stick around even if that minion is healed back to full health. If the minion is damaged again later in the game, they will gain the Enrage bonus again. Rampage just requires the minion to be damaged when it is played.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#173 - May 21, 2013, 11:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post

This is where we disagree.

No...you cant play it on a minion that isnt damaged...but once you do that minion gains a permenate +3/+3 FOREVER, regardless of if its healed back to full.

Basically taking SB again

0/4 Cant rampage

1/3 can rampage

4/6 gets healed by one

3/7

Is my interpretation of it

This is correct. The Rampage bonus will stick around even if the minion is healed later on in the turn. Rampage only requires the minion to be damaged when it is initially cast. Enrage will "turn off" if a minion is healed to full and "turn on" if a minion is damaged.

I apologize if there was any confusion.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#208 - May 29, 2013, 10:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Can Shieldbearer attack? He is 0/4 and lets say I want to attack a 1/1 minion.I wont do any damage to it but shieldbearer will take 1 damage and that will trigger his enrage.Just curious how this works.

Minions with 0 attack cannot attack.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#210 - May 29, 2013, 11:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post

@Zeriyah @Phenteo
How "spellpower" will work on spells like [arcane missiles] or [blizzard]?

[Arcane Missiles -Shoot 3 missiles at random enemies for 1 damage each.] If there is a [Malygos] in game [arcane missiles] caused three shots 6 damage each, or three shots with 5 damage divided among three shots?

[Blizzard - Deal 2 damage to all enemy minions and Freeze them.]

Spellpower will get improved wording. The intent of spellpower is to buff the total amount of damage done by spells. In the case of Arcane Missiles, Spellpower +1 would fire an additional missile for 1 damage, not buff each individual missile by 1. Spellpower does not affect healing.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#211 - May 29, 2013, 11:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
if i play [Pint-sized Summoner] --->The first minion you play each turn costs (2) less.
does the effect stacks if i play another [Pint-sized Summoner] or a other card with the same effect --->The first minion you play each turn costs (2) less.
to
--->The first minion you play each turn costs (4) less.???

Yes, two Pint Sized Summoners stack their effects.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#214 - May 29, 2013, 11:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
05/29/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Ben
Arcane Missiles: Are the targets decided before the missiles fire? Or can a 1HP minion take all the hits?

If a 1 health minion is killed by the first hit of Arcane Missiles, it will no longer be a valid target for the remaining missiles.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#215 - May 29, 2013, 11:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post

Well...that's huge (and makes more sense, balance wise). What about AOE effects, though? Would +1 spellpower give one extra damage to one target, chosen at random, or something else?

For AOE effects, it's currently a little different. If you have Spellpower +1 and cast Blizzard, it will increase the base damage done overall by one, so Blizzard will do three damage instead of two. Swipe also falls in this category, doing 5 damage to a target and 2 to all other enemies.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#239 - June 3, 2013, 5:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post

4.[Gruul]----> At the end of EACH turn, gain +1/+1
does he realy gain for EACH turn 1+/1+ or just for my turn's???

Grull's power activates at the end of each turn. This includes both your turn and your opponent's turn.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#242 - June 5, 2013, 10:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
hey i have some important questions :)
1. If i play [Faceless Manipulator]----> Battlecry: Choose a minion and become a copy of it.
and I chose a minion that is buffed or damaged will the [Faceless Manipulator] become a copy of the BASE-STATS from the Minion I chose or the ( Buffed and or damaged stats) example my Enemie has a Buffed sheep with 7/3 will the [Faceless Manipulator] become a 1/1 sheep or a 7/3 sheep?

Faceless Manipulator is such a fun card. Mr. Manipulator will become a perfect copy of that minion he targets. This includes any buffs currently on that minion! He will copy it exactly in its current state, whether it's happily eating grass as a sheep, has taken damage, or is buffed. Choose wisely!

2.If [Faceless Manipulator] Copy a Minion with Battlecry---->
(Battlecry-''does something when you play it from your hand.'' - The listed effect occurs when the minion is summoned)
The Battlecry effect from the copyed minion will not occurs right???

Nope! Battlecry only triggers when the card is played from your hand.

Buf if I Copy for example [Cenarius]---->Choose One - Give all friendly minions +2/+2; or summon two 2/2 Treants with Taunt. The Effect will occurs right??? cause its Choose One--->
When some condition is met,the controlling player may choose which of a number of effects activates

Copied minions will not retrigger their effects. For example, Cenarius will not have the chance to use his ability. Ragnaros will, however, since his effect happens at the end of your turn.

3. If i play [Void Terror]----> Battlecry: Destroy the minions on either side of this minion and gain their Attack and Health.
same question here if i destroy a buffed minion with the void terror did he get the buffed or the base stats from the killed unit?

Buffed! Nom nom nom.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#259 - June 12, 2013, 11:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
06/08/2013 04:32 AMPosted by Vladimus
Something I have been wondering a for a while now is how Lorewalker Cho works with secrets. Are they considered spells, and if they are, does it put a copy into the opponents hand when they are first played or when they are revealed and take effect.

So with the great Lorewalker Cho, if a Secret is played when he is on the board, the opponent will get a copy of that secret and you'll still get the active secret you cast. It's ... not really a secret to everybody anymore, though.

Also on the topic of secrets, do secrets like Explosive Trap benefit from spellpower?

Secrets do currently benefit from Spellpower.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#285 - June 14, 2013, 9:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Zeriyah, I believe this is quite a common question, please could you take a look if there's time:

Q: If Lord Jaraxxus is played and the opposing player has a Vaporize, will Lord Jaraxxus still replace the hero?

Q: In general, do traps such as Vaporize/Snipe trigger before Battlecries? Would Elven Archer still fire its arrow if it's hit by Vaporize?

Vaporize was changed to: Vaporize now triggers when an enemy minion attacks your hero. This was featured in our latest blog.

With Battlecry and Snipe - the minion will enter the board, perform their Battlecry, then take four damage to the face.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#302 - June 17, 2013, 11:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
06/14/2013 11:47 PMPosted by Angelcrest
With Battlecry and Snipe - the minion will enter the board, perform their Battlecry, then take four damage to the face.

So if I play Lord Jaraxxus while the enemy has Snipe or Repetance than nothing happens, their secret is wasted?

Or since Jaraxxus is not a minion after his battlecry do the secrets not trigger at all?

Also while on the subject of Jaraxxus to summon him I need less than 7 minions right?

To play JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION *ahem* ... *cough*

To play Jaraxxus, he does count as a minion when he enters play, so you'll need to make sure you have a spot for him on your board. If you have 7 minions in play, you won't be able to play him.

He'll trigger secrets as a minion, and then turns into your hero. This can be dangerous in the case of Snipe, where Jaraxxus will take the 4 damage as a minion and then become your 3/11 Hero.

Jaraxxus isn't really a demon interested in repenting or atoning for anything, so if he's afflicted by the Repentance secret, he'll become a 3/1 Hero. The Light, it burns!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#303 - June 17, 2013, 11:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
What's the order of secret execution?

I have Vaporize (Secret - kill a minion that attacks you) and Mirror Entity (Secret - copy a minion that attacks you).

In what order are they executed?
Played first = executed first? At the same time? Placement on the table?

Does the minion eventually get copied as well as killed?

This is something we're working on, so I'd like to get you a more concrete answer at a later time. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#306 - June 17, 2013, 11:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I asked the question in another post, but no answer from blue:

can I kill a jaraxxus'ed hero with grimoir of sacrifice?

I mean the grimoir doesn't say "minion" so if the demon is a hero I might as well win my game like that.

Jaraxxus is considered a Demon, so yes: Jaraxxus can be killed with Grimoire of Sacrifice.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#309 - June 18, 2013, 12:09 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Also, this has been mentioned in a few threads without being addressed: You can play in a mirror match against an opponent. Jaina vs. Jaina, Anduin vs. Anduin, etc. There's isn't a restriction on that.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#311 - June 18, 2013, 12:19 a.m.
Blizzard Post

Jaraxxus is considered a Demon, so yes: Jaraxxus can be killed with Grimoire of Sacrifice.

So even as a hero he is still tagged as a demon?

So he can be healed/buffed with chaosbolt (or demonfire if that is what its called now)

Once he is a Hero he is no longer a minion and isn't a legal target for Demonfire. However, if you get him on the board somehow as a minion, that's a different story.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#313 - June 18, 2013, 12:44 a.m.
Blizzard Post
06/17/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Rea

jaraxxus [...]
He'll trigger secrets as a minion, and then turns into your hero. This can be dangerous in the case of Snipe, where Jaraxxus will take the 4 damage as a minion and then become your 3/11 Hero.

im confused

if secrets trigger after battlecry jaraxxus shouldnt get hit by snipe
if secrets trigger before battlecry, the first quote is wrong

Neither is wrong - That is currently how Jaraxxus functions. If that feels too clunky or confusing, I'm happy to address it.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#322 - June 18, 2013, 4:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
06/17/2013 08:47 PMPosted by Jaeken

Probably doesn't, as the Battlecry doesn't even get to trigger before the Secret happens based on what we understand.

These are mutually exclusive, yes? I think we're stalled until we get a Blue corrective post as to Battlecry vs Secret resolution order. The questions come quickly, and the CMs are unfortunately mere mortals (unlike Jaraxxus!), so they occasionally misspeak.

Just to be clear: The issue is J taking Snipe's damage as a minion (pre-Battlecry), rather than as a Hero (post-Battlecry), not J taking damage at all. As far as I'm concerned, demons taking 4 to the face is always a good thing.

As I mentioned, there is no mistake. With Minions, Battlecry effects happen first, then Secrets.

Jaraxxus currently functions as an exception to this rule. Keep in mind that we're still in the testing phase, so if this feels too confusing to players, it can be subject to change.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#329 - June 18, 2013, 11:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There is a bit of confusion regarding Jaraxxus and Grimoire of Sacrifice on our Reddit boards, but I figured I'd address the question here for visibility's sake.

Jaraxxus, as a Hero, is still a Demon and can be killed with Grimoire of Sacrifice.
Jaraxxus, as a Minion, is still a Demon and can be killed with Grimoire of Sacrifice.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#358 - June 21, 2013, 12:26 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hello there, I got a few questions that I was so far unable to find an aswer for.

If an intact Raging Worgen atacks a 1/1 minion, can he attack once again right away ? Or does he have to wait until next turn to bennefit from Windfury ?

Yes - if your Raging Worgen attacks a 1/1 minion, he can attack again right away since that will trigger his Windfury.

Aroo!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#374 - June 27, 2013, 12:52 a.m.
Blizzard Post
06/21/2013 04:27 AMPosted by Mockatee
If I return a healing stream totem to my hand with a brewmaster, and then use my hero power to summon a new totem, is healing totem excluded from the possible outcomes or not?

No, it won't be excluded. It will be if it is in play.

If I Vaporize a minion, does it still get to deal damage?

No, it will die before the damage is dealt.

If i play Ancestral Spirit on Cairne Bloodhuf and he dies, did i get Bain Bloodhuf and Cairne Bloodhuf WITH his normal Deathreattle effect?

Yes, you will get Cairne back with his Deathrattle effect and a Baine as well.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#397 - June 28, 2013, 1:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post

A.) With cards like Ice Barrier, "Secret: As soon as your hero is attacked, gain 8 Armor." spellpower will affect this (being a secret card) so am I correct in expecting it to increase the armor value?

No, Spellpower does not affect armor gained. Healing is also not affected by Spellpower.

What is the order in which card effects go when more then one card has "do X at the end of your turn"?

Timing for minions that trigger at the end of a turn are based on when they were played. Whichever minion came into play first triggers first.

If I have a spellbender in play and my opponent uses power owerwhelming on his minion does a 1/3 become the target of the spell and die at the end of my opponents turn or die at the end of my turn?

The Spellbender triggers and becomes the new target for the Power Overwhelming. The spell just requires a friendly minion for the original target. Since it's still a spell that targets a minion, the Spellbender will be activated.

What happens when the new freezing trap triggers on a 9 cost minion like alexstrasza would it be 11 cost and be unplayable forever?

Yes, her cost would become 11. You would need something that would lower her cost to something that is a playable number. Freezing a big dragon makes an equally big glacier.

If I Counterspell a card, does it still trigger cards which have a "when you play/summon a card" trigger, like Illidan Stormrage?

Counterspell only counters spells played by your opponent. Minions, hero powers, and minion abilities (including Battlecry effect) are unaffected by Counterspell.

What is the order of execution of secrets?

Similar to end of turn effects, Secrets will resolve in the order they were played if they have the same condition for their activation.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#428 - July 10, 2013, 10:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post

I believe you misunderstood the question. Here is an example scenario:

I have Illidan Stormrage in play and I cast an ability. My opponent's Counterspell triggers and "counters" my ability.

When this "counter" effect occurs, will Illidan Stormrage proc or will I not gain a Flame of Azzinoth because the spell was not cast?

Ah! Yes, Illidan Stormrage will still proc if a spell is countered by Counterspell.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#429 - July 10, 2013, 10:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Question: does the game consider The Coin a spell for the purposes of Counterspell, Violet Teacher, Gadgetzan Auctioneer, Archmage Antonidas, etc?

We've seen it labeled as a "Spell" in-hand in the most recent video, but I think it's still worth asking about because those may be considered too many synergies for the 2nd player balance effect.

The Coin is considered a spell, yes. It can be Counterspelled, and will proc minions like Gadgetzan Auctioneer.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#430 - July 10, 2013, 11:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Phenteo,

If I get invited to the Beta test, I want to stream Hearthstone on my nightly Twitch stream.

(www.twitch.tv/lazenby12)

Will there be an NDA in effect that would prevent me from doing that during Beta?

If you are invited to the closed beta, feel free to stream Hearthstone as much as you like! You won't be under an NDA. I look forward to watching your stream. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#465 - July 18, 2013, 1:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I have a few questions I've been meaning to ask:

Will my healing spells affected by Auchenai Soulpriest benefit from spellpower?

They sure do. Once the Auchenai Soulpriest is in play, healing spells become damage spells and are now affected by Spell Power.

If I Shadow Madness a deathrattle minion and smash it to it's death, whose benefit does the deathrattle effect trigger?

Deathrattle triggers for the player controlling the card at the time it triggers.

Can I copy the same card twice with the same Thoughtsteal?

Thoughtsteal reads: “Copy 2 cards from your opponent’s deck and put them into your hand.” They will need to be 2 separate cards. However, if your opponent has 2 copies of a card in their deck, it is possible to copy each one giving you 2 of the same card.

If a windfury minion take retaliation from Water Elemental on his first attack is it frozen before it can attack again and is it still frozen his next turn?

The ability of Water Elemental takes effect immediately when damage is done. The Windfury minion would be frozen and unable to attack an additional time. The freeze effect only lasts until the end of the turn.

If a Mana Addict is the target of a friendly Crazed Alchemist after being buffed by spells is the increased health perminant?

Yes it is. Crazed Alchemist takes effect on whatever a minions stats are when it is played. Once swapped, the effect is permanent.

Does silence remove Ancestral Spirit?

Yup. Silence removes all abilities on the target. Keep in mind, if a minion is resurrected by Ancestral Spirit, it is no longer affected by the card. So Silencing would not destroy a minion brought back by Ancestral Spirit.

What order does Vanish make minions return to hand (in case there isn't enough room and some will be discarded)?

Minions will return to a players hand based on the order they were played. The oldest minion on the battlefield will be returned first and so on. If a player’s hand is full, any additional minions will be destroyed.

Do minions keep their buff when they return to hand? (e.g.: Divine Spirit)

No. Minions returned to a player's hand no longer retain any buffs or damage. Returning a minion to a player's hand works like a reset button for that minion.

When I buff a Sen'jin Shieldmasta that has taken 1 dmg with Divine Spirit does he become a minion with 10 maximum health with 2 dmg taken (8 current health) or 8 maximum health?

Divine Spirit will double the current health of the minion, but not the damage. The damage will remain the same. Using your example here, If the Sen’jin Shieldmasta has 1 damage applied when his health is doubled, he would become a 3/8 with 1 damage dealt. So total health would be 9.

Does a Counterspelled spell still trigger overload or count towards rogue combo?

Combo and Overload take effect under different conditions. Combo is based on a condition being met. So even if the card is countered, you still played it. So Combo will still be triggered. Overload acts as part of the effect of the card not an additional cost to play the card. “An effect happens, Overload 2”. So if the card is countered, Overload will NOT come into effect.

Does shaman heropower totems spawn in a fixed location outside our control (e.g. the far right of the board)?

The Shaman Hero Power totem will spawn to the right of your minions on the board. Players are not able to control where a Shaman's Hero Power totem will spawn into play.

If a minion with buffed health takes it's original life in damage first and then gets silenced, does it die from silence?

Buffed minions affected by Silence turn into a vanilla version of themselves. Say you have a Wisp affected by Blessing of Kings, so his stats are 5 attack and 5 health. If you deal any amount of damage to this minion, then Silence it, it will return to its original 1 attack, 1 health form.

If Spellbender triggers on Execute what happens, since the Spellbender wasn't damaged?

Execute will resolve as it was originally intended and destroy the Spellbender.

If Spellbender triggers on Power Overwhelming, when does it die?

Power Overwhelming resolves exactly as it would normally and the minion is destroyed at the end of the turn of the player that played it.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#472 - July 18, 2013, 2:16 a.m.
Blizzard Post

She already answered part of this with the Rockbiter example. Rockbiter is a one turn temporary buff. Once the Alchemist's ability swaps a minion's health it become permanent until silenced.

Temporary Buffs become Permanent with the Crazed Alchemist.

This is correct.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#473 - July 18, 2013, 2:25 a.m.
Blizzard Post
07/17/2013 06:51 PMPosted by Sisk
Buffed minions affected by Silence turn into a vanilla version of themselves. Say you have a Wisp affected by Blessing of Kings, so his stats are 5 attack and 5 health. If you deal any amount of damage to this minion, then Silence it, it will return to its original 1 attack, 1 health form.

Wait so the damage was also removed and it returned to a 1/1 or the buff was removed making it 1/1 and then it died from the damage on it?

Everything is removed, returning it to a 1/1. It does not die. If a stat buff is being removed, it'll remove the instances of damage. Consider it like a reset on the minion's stats. Silencing a minions with no stat modifications will do nothing - the damage will remain.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#500 - July 18, 2013, 11:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The effect by Crazed Alchemist, while permanent, is still considered a buff, and can be removed by Silence. It will not go away on its own or at the end of a turn, so it is not considered a temporary stat change, unless it is removed by Silence.