Offensive name, action not taken!

#1 - April 23, 2013, 1:05 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So... im pretty sure you can't have a player named Jesus (even with special characters) yet i keep reporting a player with said name, and for weeks now no action is being taken, though i believe he/she DID have different special characters previously.

Is there a reason this person is allowed to keep being offensive?
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#16 - April 23, 2013, 1:45 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So... im pretty sure you can't have a player named Jesus (even with special characters) yet i keep reporting a player with said name, and for weeks now no action is being taken, though i believe he/she DID have different special characters previously.

Is there a reason this person is allowed to keep being offensive?

The name in and of itself is not generally considered "offensive", Zentrader, but based on our policies it can be considered to be inappropriate for the game.

With that said, our primary goal is to remove obviously inappropriate names that would be considered offensive.

While we absolutely appreciate that you have taken the time to use the right click report feature to report a name that you believe to be against our policies and encourage you to continue to do so when you come across them. Mildly inappropriate names may not be changed immediately or after a single report (Multiple report from the same person is still a single report), but those reports will contribute towards any associated review of the name.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#37 - April 23, 2013, 3:32 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Maybe I'm mistaken, but wouldn't the name '(name removed, I'm sure the blues can go back to actually see what I wrote)' also be offensive? (hint, 26 people, and a guild with that name)

Well no, not exactly. In the case of a character it would be flagged for a rename. Meaning that technically the character would retain that name until it has been logged into and the user of the account selects a new one.

It is also a perfect example of why the Armory should not be used in these cases. Of the 26 you may see listed most of them have not been logged into since 2011. One of the higher level characters hasn't been logged into a couple of months, even though the 'recent activity log" says differently.

The guild hasn't been logged into since 2011. Of the more recent characters, of which there really are just two, neither have been reported through the right click report option yet.

Perhaps you failed to understand... in 2.5 years, names *** I *** have reported have never been changed... Trademarked names of various drugs, names that contained vulgar references to female body parts, names of celebrities, names of political figures

Trademarked named wouldn't usually be unless we were contacted by the trademark holder. Drug names may be, depending on the name. Vulgar references are likely, when reported appropriately. Celebrities and political figures aren't usually changed unless the character exists on an RP realm.

names *** I *** have reported have never been changed...

To speak directly to this though, I looked at some of your petition history and I'm afraid you simply have not been keeping track because that isn't even remotely true.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#46 - April 23, 2013, 4:16 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Zentrader, as I previously explained, names are not always changed immediately. While the name that you witnessed generally falls into the category of "not permitted" it can take some time before action may be taken.

As mentioned before, you reporting the same name multiple times still only counts as one report. If others on your realm who have seen this character feel the same way they can report the name as well and those will be taken into consideration for all associated investigations.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#48 - April 23, 2013, 4:17 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Given the number of commentary I have had to delete due to the trolling nature of it, I'm going to lock this thread. Thanks to all of those who constructively participated in the discussion.