Will there ever be an Archer class?

#1 - April 3, 2013, 11:53 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hello.

I've recently started playing WoW and have had quite a lot of fun with it. I started off making a Paladin which I'm enjoying, but I want to create another character as well for DPS to mix things up a bit with. I LOVE using bows/crossbows in most RPG games I play, but I can not for the life of me stand the pet that hunters appear to be so dependent on for damage. It seems like such a wasted opportunity to have ONLY ONE class that can properly utilize physical ranged weapons, (bows/guns/crossbows), and having the class be so dependent on the pets.

There seems to be a ton of different melee based classes in this game, all functioning quite differently from eachother resulting in a lot of variety available to the player. There's also a lot of magical caster classes, of which some use pets, and some don't, also resulting in many different playstyles players can utilize depending on their personal preference, (which is great). And this brings me back to the main point of the thread, why is there only one bow class, it makes no sense to me. :Z

Some of you might say, "dismiss your pet", but that essentially renders the class obsolete since your pet is such an important aspect of the class itself and is arguably a large portion of your total damage output. Even if you choose to go for Marksmanship, it seems like you will not be able to dish out enough damage to pay up for the lack of a pet.

This is a completely random thought that I just came up with as I was writing this, but maybe Marksmanship could get some kind of a passive damage buff to pay up for the lack of pet to some extent, (but still keep the pet specs slightly superior in damage). Maybe making it so that with a pet spec you get 100% pet damage, (naturally), while with Marksmanship you get a passive bonus to your own damage equal to maybe 70% of the pet's DPS, at the cost of not being able to use pets. (Obviously I don't work in the game-balancing business, but I hope you get the gist).

Oh well, that is my two cents, anyone else have an opinion? Agreeing/disagreeing?

Have a nice day! o/
Forum Avatar
Community
#6 - April 3, 2013, 1:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Who knows if we will ever get to see another class that uses ranged weapons, only time will tell I guess :-)

It is an interesting thing to speculate on though, how well would a new Archer/Ranger type class fit into the game? What would the talents and abilities look like in order to give the class it's own unique identity? How would the class stand out while still keeping it on par with the existing classes balance wise? What armor class would it be? What would the weapon restrictions be? Which races would be able to make use of this class? etc. etc.

Feel free to post your thoughts on this btw :-)