Flawed system?

#1 - March 22, 2013, 3:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
With little info, it's hard to tell, but I see a flawed system:

You have to play against other players to earn cards. Which sounds fine, until you realize that unless there's some kind of matchmaking system that checks your deck, you can end up playing against a player who has earned every card, and built the "perfect" deck. Unless you can earn cards otherwise, this seems like a really bad idea.

But then there's the crafting. You can "disenchant" cards, in order to craft other cards. I would like to see how this system works, but this seems flawed too, at least to start. The way I see it (and I play other card games, specifically Magic:The Gathering), you start off with a "pre-con", a vanilla deck as it were. This deck contains the minimum cards necessary to play the game. You can't just start off destroying your cards to make new ones, unless it's a one-for-one system. You gotta play other players to earn cards.

Which brings me to my last, smaller point. You don't earn cards, you earn "packs" which contains random cards. Like Pokemon TCG for Game Boy. Which is fun, I like that. But again, it takes into account the fact you have to beat other players to earn the cards. The system feels flawed.
#1 - March 22, 2013, 3:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post

You have to play against other players to earn cards. Which sounds fine, until you realize that unless there's some kind of matchmaking system that checks your deck, you can end up playing against a player who has earned every card, and built the "perfect" deck. Unless you can earn cards otherwise, this seems like a really bad idea.

But then there's the crafting. You can "disenchant" cards, in order to craft other cards. I would like to see how this system works, but this seems flawed too, at least to start. The way I see it (and I play other card games, specifically Magic:The Gathering), you start off with a "pre-con", a vanilla deck as it were. This deck contains the minimum cards necessary to play the game. You can't just start off destroying your cards to make new ones, unless it's a one-for-one system. You gotta play other players to earn cards.

Which brings me to my last, smaller point. You don't earn cards, you earn "packs" which contains random cards. Like Pokemon TCG for Game Boy. Which is fun, I like that. But again, it takes into account the fact you have to beat other players to earn the cards. The system feels flawed.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#7 - March 22, 2013, 4:07 p.m.
Blizzard Post

It's a matchmaking system, so regardless of skill or deck or any other factors, their wins and losses, and the context of who those wins and losses are against, will place them against other players of similar records. If a "perfect" deck makes them a stronger opponent, they'll be matched with other players of similar clout.

If you're just coming into the game, don't have many cards, or otherwise just aren't at a high skill level, you'll be matched against similar opponents, have a fair shot in your games, and winning packs.