More PvP Focus Wanted

#1 - March 21, 2013, 3 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Blizz bends over backwards to accomodate pve play styles from pet battles and questing to 25 man heroics, but refuses to put much effort into the pvp side of the game. Then when people quit pvp out of frustration, blizz uses this as evidence that pvp isn't popular enough to worry about. Seems like their pvp 'solution' was to make rbgs award the most points then call it a day. Have to go work on pet battles instead of implementing conquest catchup mechanics.

What does it take to get some attention? Why can't we get some bug fixes, new non fail maps, maybe a few new features, and some actual balance instead of more endless dailies that nobody even likes.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#10 - March 21, 2013, 3:07 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We're always open to constructive feedback and have been paying attention to PvP discussions. If you have specific items you want to share insights on, please feel free. We have more we're working on as well that we'll be sharing information on in the near future. Daxxarri is in the process of gathering information and working with the development team on it as are others on the team in regard to upcoming content again. We haven't been sitting on our hands on this end, I promise. I just can't guarantee that everyone will love everything because we've yet to pull that one off, but we'll do our best.

Again, if you have specific insights you wish to share, please do.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#33 - March 21, 2013, 3:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I would like to ask (respectfully) that anyone who chooses to take part in this thread not delve into the PvE vs. PvP trap. I don't think anyone is going to come to an agreement on it anytime soon. Please be respectful of the opinions and thoughts of others and don't turn this thread into a flame war. I will bring out the fire extinguisher if I have to.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#55 - March 21, 2013, 3:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
03/21/2013 08:42 AMPosted by Angelatore
I would like to ask (respectfully) that anyone who chooses to take part in this thread not delve into the PvE vs. PvP trap. I don't think anyone is going to come to an agreement on it anytime soon. Please be respectful of the opinions and thoughts of others and don't turn this thread into a flame war. I will bring out the fire extinguisher if I have to.

Sadly, I think the significant undertones of this thread are rampant with the PvE v. PvP trap. I think discussing one topic--e.g., PvP fixes, changes, and balancing--cannot be done in a vacuum that ignores PvE. All attempts at credulity aside, the very fact remains that changes to how classes react in a PvP environment almost always affect how that same class will perform in a PvE environment.

I think there is only one outcome when all factors are examined: PvP and PvE simply have to be bifurcated--complete separation. This could be accomplished with the addition of a third spec.--PVP only--which transforms your talents, racials, etc. into what you (Blizzard) intend PvP to be like. Absent this, no significant progress will be made at marrying the two and letting them both be successful in their own right.

I don't mean that PvE and PvP discussion can't or shouldn't occur in the thread. My only concern is that it remain constructive and everyone refrain from making it a strict "you suck, no you suck" thread. It's a trap that just doesn't end well.

I also think that what may seem "easy" isn't always so. There are a lot of resources that get divvied up and assigned to various tasks. Weighing the value of each of those tasks and the impact of the results is an ongoing and thoughtful process. We do our best to minimize the impact of this, but there are only so many things we can work on at a time.

I may sound a bit like a broken record, but there's another issue that I often see in regard to PvPers in World of Warcraft. Not all PvPers want the same things or have the same goals when they step foot into the "arena" so to speak. Some are in it for the gear. Some for the thrill of beating the other team. Some on a more individual level of proving they're more skilled at their class than the other guy/gal. Some see it as a challenge and will "overcome" or adapt to any changes thrown at them. Others are less easily adaptable. But, in the end it's all dependent on those goals they set for themselves. Their experiences are individual affairs. We do our best on our end to allow those things to all happen, but unless everyone can agree on what exactly they want out of their PvP encounters, any changes or development done is not going to make everyone happy.

I also see people bring up Crowd Control mechanisms in PvP quite often. This is another one that goes back and forth. For teams, groups, etc. that are well-coordinated, they overcome these mechanisms by pooling their abilities together to counter. For those less-organized, it's more of an issue. If you're "solo" in a battleground and have no counter abilities or someone gets the jump on you, it's a much bigger issue to you. I'm not trying to muddle the discussion, but just bringing up some additional insights from where I sit. Agree or disagree as you like, but I just ask that you keep things constructive.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#118 - March 21, 2013, 4:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There are too many varying discussions going on in this thread so I'm going to toss some out the window:

All PvPers are just griefers discussion- Toss it out. This is the same as saying everyone that goes into Dungeon Finder or Raid Finder is a jerk. It's an overstatement that has nothing to do with the discussion. As someone that enjoys PvP myself, I can attest I personally do not "grief". Individuals can be "jerks" it's true, but don't put everyone in one basket because you had a poor experience with one of them.

You don't like PvP because you're bad- For some, this may be true. They don't feel good about engaging in PvP because they don't feel competent. But, again, that's not part of this discussion and frankly, it's better that more people want to engage in PvP (for PvPers) than don't. Without others wanting to engage in it, you have no one to compete against.

You suck... No you- Please stop adding personal insults into the thread. If you're not here to share insight on what you think could/would enhance PvP and its enjoyment (no, removing it from the game is not a relevant suggestion), then please refrain from participating.

Blizzard doesn't care- Let's scratch this one off too. It's not part of the discussion. If we didn't care, we wouldn't do any work on the system at all. There would be no new seasons and there wouldn't be an option for PvP quests as a part of the new Isle of Thunder. We care, but we still have to manage resources.

Share what you like, what you enjoy, what you think could be better. That's what this thread is about and thanks ahead of time for taking the time to respond.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#126 - March 21, 2013, 4:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Also a suggestion for PvPing is by making solo queues impossible for battlegrounds.

Bots don't group queue.

I don't think this is the solution. I understand what you're trying to do here, but it's going to hamper the enjoyment of many who enjoy solo queuing and running Battlegrounds simply for the fun of it.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#129 - March 21, 2013, 4:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
03/21/2013 09:25 AMPosted by Mirisanelle
All PvPers are just griefers discussion- Toss it out. This is the same as saying everyone that goes into Dungeon Finder or Raid Finder is a jerk. It's an overstatement that has nothing to do with the discussion. As someone that enjoys PvP myself, I can attest I personally do not "grief". Individuals can be "jerks" it's true, but don't put everyone in one basket because you had a poor experience with one of them.

Neth, then how can this issue be addressed on a larger scale?

I am not referring to one person, i am referring to many over the last two years. it is not an overstatement when i remember being on Madoran and trying to level my toons and finding the npc's dead day after day after day.

Who do I talk to?

How does this get fixed?

Where are the avenues that tell us that these issues get taken care of when the same thing happens day after day?

Feel free to create a separate thread if you like. I think it just doesn't fit in this particular discussion.

*edited for proper grammar.