Honor bought Malevolent weapons

#1 - March 16, 2013, 4:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Maybe up their item level a little (a lot)? So that people can actually play on their alts on a competitive level, as well as playing with people who do not posses 2/2 T2 weapons. Especially melee classes heavily depend on their weapon to win a match.

InB4 "omg qq pve ruined then"... Don't you just love that reasoning?........
Forum Avatar
Community
#35 - March 18, 2013, 9:12 a.m.
Blizzard Post
PvE and PvP are still way too intrinsically tied together in WoW for this to happen, and I think you all know it, I do understand why we keep getting these sort of requests, I feel the same way too whenever I get into arena with a new alt, but we have to accept that this is an mmorpg and getting loot upgrades is a big and essential part of the genre.

Loot might not be what drives you, but it sure is what drives a whole lot of other people. Even after we’ve made PvP weapons less attractive for PvE and vice-versa, there are still quite a lot of players that go into arena with a set goal in mind, can be a T2 weapon, shoulders or even a full set. The time that these players will probably spend in the arena should be less now though, since we’ve removed rating requirements from all items except for the weapon enchant, but these players will still have to play until they get at least 27000 Conquest for the whole season if they seek T2 gear.
Forum Avatar
Community
#56 - March 19, 2013, 10:13 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Could you please explain why there is a weapon enchant that is only viable for melees? Isnt that a bit unfair against casters?

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this enchant.
Once we’ve switched the way Elite gear becomes available to players (from the 2200 rating requirement to 27000 Conquest Point requirement), we felt the need to add something cosmetic, to visually distinguish high rated players from the rest, it’s just a cool thing to do and players were clearly asking for it, recognition is generally a good thing, it values people and it’s very motivational.

So the issue I have with this is that we’ve changed the way players can buy Elite gear, partially because ilvl disparity in PvP only helps to further increase itself, once players start to get Elite gear, the gap between those players and the ones still trying to grab it, widens, and it gets harder to beat those players.
So what does this have to do with the enchant? Well, the enchant was introduced as one of those visually distinguishable features exclusively available to high rated players, which causes 2 problems:
- If the enchant is too good for PvP, it will reintroduce the first problem that we’ve tried to solve back into the equation.
- If it’s too bad for PvP, no high rated player will want to use it, so the item becomes pointless.

So for this to actually work in its current form it simply needs to be on par with top PvE Enchants. This sort of balance can be hard to achieve, especially when we have static stats and characters that can duel-wield and others that cannot, so it’s not just about casters vs melee.
We’re aware of the issues being reported about this enchant and about not having more cosmetic perks to make high rated players stand out from the crowd. We’ll make sure to pass your feedback along to devs.
Forum Avatar
Community
#59 - March 19, 2013, 10:28 a.m.
Blizzard Post
You're completely missing the point. Sure loot may be important to some but it should not shadow the competitive nature of arena.

No, of course not, competitiveness is always there, but the players involved in the competition have different goals in mind, and for some that goal can be loot.
What I meant was - depending on how strong that main goal is when compared to other motivations that a player has to compete, like “fame and glory”, personal satisfaction or recognition, that player may or may not stop playing after he reaches his main goal (loot).