Raiding is too hard and time consuming

#1 - Feb. 5, 2013, 7:28 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Like why do I have to sit around in normals for 3 months wiping 8 hours a week to get anywhere? It was cool to release 3 raids, but whats the point if you're gonna make them so hard no one will even get to the second one before next tier? I thought normals were supposed to be easy and hms were supposed to be the hard raids? Wiping isn't fun... bring back DS difficulty. That was perfect for normals, people could actually do them in a respectable amount of time.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#69 - Feb. 5, 2013, 4:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/04/2013 11:28 PMPosted by Azria
Like why do I have to sit around in normals for 3 months wiping 8 hours a week to get anywhere? It was cool to release 3 raids, but whats the point if you're gonna make them so hard no one will even get to the second one before next tier? I thought normals were supposed to be easy and hms were supposed to be the hard raids? Wiping isn't fun... bring back DS difficulty. That was perfect for normals, people could actually do them in a respectable amount of time.

I can commiserate with your feelings, but the best thing you can do is share with us specifically what encounters or issues you're having. It may be something we may need to look at and address on our end, or it may be something that other players can give you additional insight on to make the encounters seem less difficult for you.

As I see it, these are the things that could be affecting how you and your Raid team are performing:

• You've found a bug or an imbalance in an encounter that's causing you issues.
  • Your Raid team may not be using solid achievable tactics to approach the encounters and may need to refine them more.
  • Members of your Raid team may not have the most appropriate gear for the encounters. which can cause additional burden on other members who do have appropriate gear.
  • Members of the Raid team may need to change spell rotations or even talent options for specific encountersAgain, I think by citing specific issues and problems, you may find better success in overcoming them.
  • Forum Avatar
    Community Manager
    #346 - Feb. 5, 2013, 10:14 p.m.
    Blizzard Post

I can commiserate with your feelings, but the best thing you can do is share with us specifically what encounters or issues you're having. It may be something we may need to look at and address on our end, or it may be something that other players can give you additional insight on to make the encounters seem less difficult for you.

As I see it, these are the things that could be affecting how you and your Raid team are performing:

• You've found a bug or an imbalance in an encounter that's causing you issues.
  • Your Raid team may not be using solid achievable tactics to approach the encounters and may need to refine them more.
  • Members of your Raid team may not have the most appropriate gear for the encounters. which can cause additional burden on other members who do have appropriate gear.
  • Members of the Raid team may need to change spell rotations or even talent options for specific encountersAgain, I think by citing specific issues and problems, you may find better success in overcoming them.

• I understand that specific feedback can be more useful because it can better identify outliers or unintended situations, but I can also understand the idea that the person you quoted is trying to convey.

I don't doubt you're familiar with raid difficulty tuning, but I will discuss it briefly to clarify the opinion of the person you quoted.

I don't know the specifics of the raid tuning process that WoW encounter designers use, but there is an arbitrary level of difficulty that encounter designers create through the damage dealt by abilities and spells of enemies and through the health granted to enemies. There are also several other mechanics that can be adjusted to determine how difficult an encounter is for players to overcome.

Developer Ion "Watcher" Hazzikostas addressed how we balance encounters in his watercooler in case you missed it. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8445111/ He does a great job explaining the process so that the way in which balance is approached doesn't seem quite so arbitrary.