Warcraft film: Is "north of" 100m million small?

#1 - Jan. 31, 2013, 6:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Now that a number of details have been released, the thing that struck me the most was the proposed budget.

"North of" 100 million. Imo if it was going to be 200 or 300 they'd have put that figure forward. North of, indicates to me that it will be around that, with the possibility of going over but not by too much.

Granted, they probably aren't going to go for any big name stars, but nevertheless, imo, considering the sets they are going to have to build from scratch, plus how cgi heavy the film will need to be to do the franchise any justice at all, 100 million seems a tad on the small side in today's market.

I'm hoping for something a lot lot better than the Final Fantasy film was (walked out before the end due to its mediocrity), but at 100 million I'm not going exactly going to be holding my breath. Maybe that will turn out to be a good thing, no (or low) expectations = very pleasant surprise.

2015 expected release date btw
Forum Avatar
Community
#10 - Jan. 31, 2013, 12:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This link was already posted above, but I am re-posting it for easy clicking :-)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warcraft-movie-lands-source-code-416956

31/01/2013 06:42Posted by LĂ dysylvanas
I hope any WoW trailers will generate similar excitement.

I hope so too, one of the purposes of a trailer is after all to make people excited to watch the film ;-)

The script is still a secret though. The Warcraft setting is rather obvious of course, but the story and plot is still a mystery. I personally hope the film will have at least one cool Dwarf character in it, perhaps a Dwarf Hunter with a Polar Bear pet... and also Goblin Zeppelins!
Forum Avatar
Community
#42 - Jan. 31, 2013, 2:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
31/01/2013 14:11Posted by Seruuna
A 100 million budget can't really be considered small even today though. There are SO many films, even effects-driven, that have a budget of half or less that still become watchable.

Very true. The new Judge Dredd film comes to mind, which is(in my opinion) a solid film that had a budget of "only" $45 million.