Reported For Language

#1 - Jan. 30, 2013, 12:48 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi friends :)

My question this fine evening for you is, have you ever been reported for language? And if so, what happened?

Since the anonymity of LFR & LFD alike, certain players have a difficult time holding their...tongues? Fingers? I noticed that there is now a feature to right click & report a player for language simply and easily. I wonder if Blizzard takes action against these reports?

On another note, when I first began playing in 2006, I thought I was being a good RPer when I was freakout cursing at another group of players. Well they reported me (the old fashioned way) and I got nothing but an email slap on the ol wrist. Has this changed?
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#31 - Jan. 30, 2013, 2:48 a.m.
Blizzard Post
01/29/2013 04:48 PMPosted by Fazzie
I wonder if Blizzard takes action against these reports?

Absolutely. That is what the right click report feature is for. It is a way to quickly report language and subject matter that may violate our Terms of Use.

Well they reported me (the old fashioned way) and I got nothing but an email slap on the ol wrist. Has this changed?

It depends, both on the severity of the violation as well as the history on the account. How this works is illustrated in the following support article.

Account Penalties

you get banned for like 24 hours trust me i've been banned like 5000 times

so now i just censor the naughty words lol

As I mentioned, what happens depends on the severity of the violation as well as the history on the account. Censoring, as I'm afraid you may soon know, is not a viable method to circumvent our policies. They do apply to both clear and masked language.

01/29/2013 04:56 PMPosted by Fazzie
Oh, but my friend...not only does the right click->report->language option allow you to (from what I am understanding) throw down a temp ban, but it ALSO ignores them :) Two stones with one bird..or whatever. :D

To be clear, the right click report feature creates a report to be used in the associated investigation to determine if a violation occurred as well as what penalty is appropriate for it. It will also place the person you reported on a temporary ignore list, which will be active for that play session.

01/29/2013 05:12 PMPosted by Paperslicer
We should use the words invented by Oxhorn so many years ago.

Keep in mind that using a word in place of another that would be considered profane can be considered masked language. I would urge you to simply find a better way to communicate. :)

Also, I warn before I report. I like to give people a chance to clean up their act before taking action.

Though noble, it is sometimes best to simply report and move along without any additional acknowledgement. Confronting someone for using inappropriate language/subject matter may lead to additional harassment.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#36 - Jan. 30, 2013, 4:47 a.m.
Blizzard Post
The Teen rating that this game has indicates that the content may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language.

The level of each is also a factor. Our content can be controlled by our Developers to that we meet those standards.

Player interaction is not governed by the ESRB. However, with this rating there is a certain expectation of the type of behavior that is permitted. So no, we're not hypocrites, Embral, we are simply controlling the amount of inappropriate language and subject matter that may be experienced in our game.

That is why we put forth the Terms of Use that we have, which stipulates what kind of behavior is not appropriate. I suggest you review that section again. Section B under the Code of Conduct.

In addition I would recommend reviewing our Code of Conduct for the forums as well.

Unfortunately, this is an indication that it is necessary to lock this thread. Thank you to those who kept the discussion constructive.