Why is Necroing/Bumping bad?

#1 - Dec. 18, 2012, 10:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Do not "bump" posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called "necro bumping" or "necroing").

I don't understand why this is considered spam if the topic is still relevant. Do we really need another thread of the same topic?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#92 - Dec. 19, 2012, 1:23 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Do not "bump" posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called "necro bumping" or "necroing").

I don't understand why this is considered spam if the topic is still relevant. Do we really need another thread of the same topic?

Context is key. It does say: "bumping very old threads for no reason"

If it's a thread that is still relevant and you have something meaningful to add to, feel free to post. In many cases people necro old threads that, out of context, could cause a lot of confusion just because the content of the post is very old and/or contains what is now misinformation.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#114 - Dec. 19, 2012, 2:24 a.m.
Blizzard Post
12/18/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Girlsgonewow
Would it be too much to ask if you both let go of this silly disagreement?

I feel like I should do something... but I'm not sure what. I have like, magical powers that can make people stop talking and yet I can't fully justify using them right now.

Can people just stop being upset about how forum guidelines are interpreted? :) Or, if there's some specific question, maybe I can help clarify how we intend them.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#124 - Dec. 19, 2012, 2:45 a.m.
Blizzard Post
12/18/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Elementaru

I feel like I should do something... but I'm not sure what. I have like, magical powers that can make people stop talking and yet I can't fully justify using them right now.

Can people just stop being upset about how forum guidelines are interpreted? :) Or, if there's some specific question, maybe I can help clarify how we intend them.

If you want me to cease with this argument, I will. However, I'm tired of insinuations of me just "not understanding," or that I "can't grasp the obvious point," while someone is back-peddling.

I have nothing against Snowfox, whatsoever. I just happen to disagree with her original assessment of the situation, and then when I, and others, pointed out how her original post was perceived, she wants to argue that we just "didn't understand" while tweaking her stance.

I think I've tried to be pretty civil in this thread, and I apologize if anyone has taken offense, as that wasn't my intent. I just wish for the same civility without deception of what original posts actually said.

I think it's just a simple confusion of terms, although I've not read every post. "Bumping" can mean a few different things. In a specific forum use it means bumping a thread with the word "bump" or maybe just a few words with the sole purpose of elevating the thread to the top of the forums to gain visibility. That is not an acceptable practice. However, what happens to a thread when it's posted in, even if it's the most excellent post ever, is technically still called a 'bump'. Bumping isn't ok, but bumping is if X. It's just not the best way to phrase things I'm sure but them's the terms people use.

I'm just not sure what is to be gained by continuing to discuss ... the discussion. I recommend we all move on to bigger and brighter threads.