Daily droprates: this isn't fun, Blizzard

#1 - Nov. 28, 2012, 1:40 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Sorry if this comes across like a QQ post. It isn't meant to be - my intention is to make a civil, honest statement about my largest gripe with dailies, which this newest patch exemplifies.

I spent a few hours sinking my teeth into 5.1 today, and contrary to the 'axe to grind' nature of this topic I'm really impressed! The new 'Patience' scenario is great, great fun and IMO, sets the standard for differentiating scenarios from dungeons. The epic music, the direct attacks on my enemy faction's bases, all of it got my blood pumping.

And then I run into the 'Beastmaster' crane quest that you get by turning in those little insignias for the item that starts the quest. Myself and a guildie decided to do it together as we had the other quests, and over eighty dead cranes and nearly an hour later he's at 3/5 feathers and I'm at 4/5. I'm not exaggerating: we killed dozens upon dozens of cranes, often 4-6 at a time.

Blizz has asked us to communicate what isn't fun about the game: spending nearly an hour killing mobs for 5 quest drops, along side hundreds of other players competing for the same items and no doubt experiencing the same terrible drop rates, isn't fun. At all. When leveling I don't mind killing extra mobs because its experience points/etc. At 90, dealing with countless others doing the same quests and mobs with hundreds of thousands of health, it is just an unenjoyable chore to have to kill over eighty mobs for an amount of drops that is exponentially smaller.

Make no mistake: I do not mind dailies, in fact I like some of them quite a lot. But spending so much time to complete a single one, because of a pointlessly terrible drop rate, was enough disincentive that I logged off of the game. The fun I was having with 5.1 came to a screeching halt. My guildie declared "I hate this rep already" and that he would only do the bare minimum to progress it, all on account of that crane quest. Some people have limited playtime in their day, are they seriously expected to waste it farming dozens of mobs for a paltry number of feathers/tongues/etc?

I just don't understand why dailies are designed this way at level cap. The crane daily was irritating enough for me to log off, irritating enough to completely circumvent the fun I had until that point. There has to be a better design for these kinds of quests.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#3 - Nov. 28, 2012, 3:01 a.m.
Blizzard Post
The idea is that with some effort (although we are looking at the drop rates being a bit too low), a player can go farm up the materials to summon one of the 5-person bosses who are then trapped in a cage - and from there everyone can fight it. If there are already animals in the cages there is no need to go out into the field to gather materials to summon another. Everyone can fight the boss and get credit for it (and rep), and killing a boss is a daily, so there's no need to kill more than one.

The entire process should be: someone farms up a boss with a Beastmaster's Hunt quest, everyone fights it together and gets the rep, and you only need to do that once a day.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#7 - Nov. 28, 2012, 3:10 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Are you sure its working? I defeated the crane boss once and I didn't get the quest for downing it. I assumed you didn't need to be in the same group.

Did the character already get credit for one of the other two bosses? You only need to down one of them, not all three.