Huge exploit in game - Blizzard does nothing

#1 - Nov. 21, 2012, 8:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There is an exploit in this game with ninjaing items from guild banks.

Im not going to explain how it done, but basically it allows ANY RANK to take ANY ITEM out of ANY PAGE they want to.

The problem im having is Blizzard knows about this exploit and is doing absolutely nothing to fix it. Here is my proof from a blue post when someone complained about the exploit.

Here is Blue response

"I'm not going to go into details on how one may accomplish this, though the best I can recommend is that permission to invite may want to be more closely guarded. Perhaps adjust permissions on the base rank.

Beyond that, please report this activity. It can be looked into based on our scam policies."

And here is another response -

"Folks, I'm aware of how it was done, the point of not going into detail was to not go into detail. :)"

You can see the whole post here - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200080115

As a guild leader this just infuriates me that blizzard continues to allow this exploit to exist.

I just want to make it clear, this exploit has NOTHING to do with guild ranks or permissions. The exploit allows any rank to take any item from any guild bank page.

Please fix this immediately blizzard.
Forum Avatar
Support Forum Agent
#34 - Nov. 21, 2012, 9:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
11/21/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Dopey
Im not going to explain how it done, but basically it allows ANY RANK to take ANY ITEM out of ANY PAGE they want to.

No, they cannot. They can only access the items the rank they were given has access to.

11/21/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Dopey
The problem im having is Blizzard knows about this exploit and is doing absolutely nothing to fix it. Here is my proof from a blue post when someone complained about the exploit.

I wasn't aware that acknowledgement of a possible exploit was proof that we are "doing absolutely nothing to fix it".

11/21/2012 12:31 PMPosted by Dopey
But I said, thats not my main complaint. My complaint is it very pathetic that Blizzard is trying to keep this hidden. If they know there is an exploit and can not fix it in a timely matter they need to announce it to the public so that GMs of guild can take the appropriate steps if its not too late.

I'm not attempting to hide that folks can take advantage of current limitations with the system. It would simply be better not to spread the method around.

We look into reports of these actions, as they will usually fall under our scam policies, but we don't need to make more work than is needed.

11/21/2012 01:00 PMPosted by Dopey
But there in lies the problem. Thousand of GMs have no idea this exploit even exists , so they have no idea on what steps to take to prevent.

The steps that exist are the same as before. Set your guild ranks and permissions to allow only those that you trust the ability to specific things within the guild. Such as limiting who can invite members into the guild to a rank that can access the guild bank. This "exploit" requires a complacent guild member with appropriate permissions.

11/21/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Dopey
Why then if Blizzard knows about it, and there are measures to prevent it that the GM can take, does Blizzard not release a statement.

We do not generally advertise how to possibly take advantage of a limitation with the system.

11/21/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Dopey
If you think Blues here dont have any contact with the developers, how can I put this nicely, you arent too bright.

Yes, in theory I could email a developer, that is entirely possible. However, that is not my function. I do not serve as a liaison with Development, and moving outside the appropriate course of action for something would only lead to a more bogged down system. Where the developer has to sort through hundreds if not thousands of emails on a weekly basis instead of working on... developing the game.

So no, there is no question about Thunderwulf's intelligence, he understands how these forums work and the appropriate place for feedback, bugs, and other issues.

I can only assume the thread was moved here because the person thought you needed advice on how to report someone who may be exploiting.

Also GM is a common term for Guild Master. And now your just being a .....

Yes, it is. But to avoid confusion regarding what you are referring to, it is usually best to use different terms to clarify.

Name calling is never appropriate here.

Now again, we're aware of the current limitation and it is being looked into. What that may entail I cannot say but it is certainly not being ignored. A resolution is not as easy as many seem to think it is, it isn't always, or usually, a "line of code". It can be an entire rewrite of a system to make a needed adjustment to the system.

Since this thread continues to degenerate I'm going to leave it locked.