Hide shoulders option

#1 - Nov. 19, 2012, 9:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
NPCs can hide their shoulder armor, why can't we?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#37 - Nov. 19, 2012, 11:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
11/19/2012 02:00 PMPosted by Ginx
Blizzard has stated in no uncertain terms that hiding shoulders isn't something they'd consider.

That's not entirely accurate. It's true that offering an option to hide shoulders is something we've been reluctant to do, because so much effort goes into the creation of shoulder art, and those items are some of the most visually distinctive and iconic items in World of Warcraft. It's not necessarily totally off of the table though. As we've said often in the past, we still plan to grow and evolve the Transmogrification feature over time.

Well, to be fair Blizz open the door to this when they allowed us to hide our helmets...that makes less sense than hiding shoulders

One could make that argument, but opting to show a character's face is a choice we've offered for quite a long time. It's sort of its own thing; especially considering that there is quite a lot of art and animation specifically for character heads and faces, and customization of those features is a significant part of making your character your own. Allowing faces to be displayed makes sense in that context. While armor doesn't necessarily look terrible without shoulders, I don't think that making exposed shoulders interesting has been high on the priorities when designing chest armor textures/models over time.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#47 - Nov. 19, 2012, 11:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
11/19/2012 03:30 PMPosted by Mobu
how about having the artist team making a complete set that looks good for a change?

Art is an extremely subjective thing. With very rare exceptions, if you take any random piece of armor or art, and ask people for opinions, they'll almost certainly be divided.

For example, I uh, never really liked any of the AQ40 stuff (scandalous!). I know people that love it so much they have it 'mogged to this day. *shrug*