FALL IN. PRESENT ARMS! [Veteran Day Thanks]

#1 - Nov. 11, 2012, 7:07 a.m.
Blizzard Post
It is with great honor that I am able to post this here. Through out all the times in our lives that we may bicker among ourselves, complain about the quality of life, and even lash out with our anger in misguided frustration, we must always remember that we stand able to do these things, because of the Men and Women who have fallen for us.

Opinions come and go, politicians change, countries grow, but Soldiers stay the same. Defenders of what we hold to be inalienable rights to all living things, defenders of a constitution derived of Men who wished but nothing of equality for all. It is not a message of political ambition or self-righteous exasperation, but an idea that all born unto this earth ARE free to peruse a life of fulfillment and happiness. Sadly, the cost for this has never been short of the lives of those willing to defend it.

To those who are serving:
Remember back to your training, and even before that when you raised your right hand. Remember that understanding of sacrifice and determination, that overwhelming sense of pride. Remember that spark that allowed you to decide your life was worth giving up for the same reasons you joined. I implore you to infuse this feeling back into your day-to-day and especially into your units. The beuacracy of the Military is dreadful if you allow it to be. Remember why.

My heart goes out to you and I thank you for all you do. I thank you for all the time you spend away from your families. I thank you for all the long days, sleepless nights, and the toll your job takes on your body. I love you all with everything I can muster.

To those who have served:
The transition to civilian life is an interesting one. It was much easier in my head. We have been expected to set a standard for what feels like our entire life and as it turns out, the rest of the world doesn't play by the same rules. No one will ever know the true hardships we have faced save for those who have been with us. Do not fret over the confusion and ignorance of the world. We are unique to them, and sometimes uniqueness can be supplemented with fear, anger, and confusion. Never forget your discipline. Never forget our comrades. Walk strong and be proud.

I thank you for all you have done, for what I do not know you've done, and for what you continue to do. You are my brothers and sisters. We are a family of forgotten but not gone. I love you. You are always in my thoughts.

To those who have fallen:
I can not conjure the words to express my gratitude. You gave 100% of yourself and no cost is greater. There is not continue here. No extra coins to be inserted. Please take resolution in knowing that the rest of us are right behind you, screaming your message all the way to the gates of hell. You are loved. You are missed. May you rest in eternal peace.

Today is Veterans day, we take the time to honor those who serve. To give themselves up to something greater than themselves is not an easy task, and I say while today is the day of rememberance and pleasentries, do not forget them tomorrow.

ORDER. ARMS.
DISMISSED.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#55 - Nov. 11, 2012, 11:13 a.m.
Blizzard Post
It is with great honor that I am able to post this here. Through out all the times in our lives that we may bicker among ourselves, complain about the quality of life, and even lash out with our anger in misguided frustration, we must always remember that we stand able to do these things, because of the Men and Women who have fallen for us.

Opinions come and go, politicians change, countries grow, but Soldiers stay the same. Defenders of what we hold to be inalienable rights to all living things, defenders of a constitution derived of Men who wished but nothing of equality for all. It is not a message of political ambition or self-righteous exasperation, but an idea that all born unto this earth ARE free to peruse a life of fulfillment and happiness. Sadly, the cost for this has never been short of the lives of those willing to defend it.

To those who are serving:
Remember back to your training, and even before that when you raised your right hand. Remember that understanding of sacrifice and determination, that overwhelming sense of pride. Remember that spark that allowed you to decide your life was worth giving up for the same reasons you joined. I implore you to infuse this feeling back into your day-to-day and especially into your units. The beuacracy of the Military is dreadful if you allow it to be. Remember why.

My heart goes out to you and I thank you for all you do. I thank you for all the time you spend away from your families. I thank you for all the long days, sleepless nights, and the toll your job takes on your body. I love you all with everything I can muster.

To those who have served:
The transition to civilian life is an interesting one. It was much easier in my head. We have been expected to set a standard for what feels like our entire life and as it turns out, the rest of the world doesn't play by the same rules. No one will ever know the true hardships we have faced save for those who have been with us. Do not fret over the confusion and ignorance of the world. We are unique to them, and sometimes uniqueness can be supplemented with fear, anger, and confusion. Never forget your discipline. Never forget our comrades. Walk strong and be proud.

I thank you for all you have done, for what I do not know you've done, and for what you continue to do. You are my brothers and sisters. We are a family of forgotten but not gone. I love you. You are always in my thoughts.

To those who have fallen:
I can not conjure the words to express my gratitude. You gave 100% of yourself and no cost is greater. There is not continue here. No extra coins to be inserted. Please take resolution in knowing that the rest of us are right behind you, screaming your message all the way to the gates of hell. You are loved. You are missed. May you rest in eternal peace.

Today is Veterans day, we take the time to honor those who serve. To give themselves up to something greater than themselves is not an easy task, and I say while today is the day of rememberance and pleasentries, do not forget them tomorrow.

ORDER. ARMS.
DISMISSED.

It's an honest, eloquent display of respect. And there are a few among us who will take any opportunity to be combative or contrary. "Where there's one they're bound to divide it right in two."

Sorry this has nothing to do with wow and does not belong on these forums

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7004044651

I understand your concern, and I thank you for your post. I realize that this thread has interrupted your day and caused you great distress and for that I apologize.

Many Veterans play WoW and are an integral part of the gaming community, I believe there is no harm in giving them some respect for one day out of the year as WoW is a very strong game that is very supportive in deployments and even dealing with issues such as PTSD. The community, the repetitive choices, and the diverse world are wonderful settings for any service member to use to escape the riggers of the hardships that military service brings down upon them.

I know that WoW helped me and more specifically many friends and is actually being studied by several independent groups as a tool for PTSD therapy for returning US Troops. I look forward to seeing what comes of that.

Some are concerned that a /salute thread for U.S. veterans on this day we honor them is inappropriate for these forums. I appreciate that concern, but we're also talking about World of Warcraft as a form of support for a unique portion of our community. Veterans are among us. That warms my heart. :)

So both to those who want to focus on the imperfections of our military institutions and foreign policy, as well as those who say this thread isn't related to World of Warcraft, I offer this apropos reminder:

To ask why we fight is to ask why the leaves fall. It is in their nature. Perhaps, there is a better question.

Why do we fight? To protect home, and family. To preserve balance, and bring harmony for my kind. The true question is: What is worth fighting for?

/Salute
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#159 - Nov. 11, 2012, 1:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This thread exists to pay respect on this day to our brothers and sisters in the community who've pledged their lives to their country, as well as everyone else who has served throughout history.

There's no place for debate here. If you've come to this thread to argue foreign policy, criticize the use of military force in any context, or otherwise spin this into a political discussion, you'll be removed from the forums.

Thanks for understanding. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#1139 - Nov. 12, 2012, 10:15 a.m.
Blizzard Post
To those of you who expressed positive sentiments on a day of remembrance for the veterans of many nations, thank you.

I've closed this thread so we can get back to the discussions more relevant to World of Warcraft, hopefully with a heightened sense of the interests that bring us together in this community, even given the differences we may sometimes have. :)