Bonus roll issue.

#1 - Nov. 9, 2012, 10:05 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Everytime I bonus roll I consistantly get the same item on the 3 different boss i need gear off of. Im gonna give examples here, Sha of Anger- Huge loot table with tier and pvp gear, so of course I use a token here. 3 weeks 3 sets of guardian tier pants, off bonus rolls. Sharded 2 pairs.

Feng in MV bonus rolled his agility ring, twice, to bads its unquie equipped. Keeping the other one atm for lols.

Bonus rolls are a great thing except for blizzard did not think about adding in a system if you already have the item, you should not be able to bonus roll it again. Getting muiltiple items like this is a punch in the face. Im always "Woot, finnaly won a bonus roll..........crap. I got that already!" Thanks for getting my hopes up.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#21 - Nov. 9, 2012, 11:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm convinced that people that complain about loot not dropping or the same loot dropping over and over never played through Vanilla. Or TBC either for that matter.

If they HAD, they would understand the nature of RNG.

I've been playing since Nov 05. The new bonus roll loot system was suppose to impove the old roll system.

I'm not sure "improve the old roll system" is the right way to phrase it, at least in the context that you have any expectation that the bonus roll should be much more likely to give you what you want, if not at least know not to give you what you already have.

Using a bonus roll is effectively no different than if you were to be able to loot that boss twice in one week. Each bonus roll provides the same chances of getting gear from the exact same loot tables as a normal loot roll -- nothing more, nothing less.

So it's an improvement in that you can earn an extra shot at a boss's loot table in one week. But it's not intended to be a system that ensures you never get what you don't need. The random loot system can only be so convenient before it becomes too efficient. We believe chance should dictate whether or not you get something at all and, if you do, whether or not you need still need that item. That philosophy -- specific to boss drops -- hasn't changed much over the years, so it stands to reason that even a bonus roll would follow the same structure.

But with that said, we're exploring ways to make the bonus roll feel like more of a random bonus, without just making it extremely efficient for gaining character power. We understand how it feels to spend the charms and rarely see anything other than gold or items you don't need. So, for example, we could maybe add pets and mounts that would have a low chance of dropping exclusively on a bonus roll.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#32 - Nov. 9, 2012, 11:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
That would be nice Zar or some profession items or anything. I honestly get depressed when I see "Sha Touched Gold" or my bonus roll get gold again and again and again and again and again.

I know how the system works too and I'm not exactly complaining about it.Except that seeing that gold or sha or sack of mogul riches or all the other gold bags makes me feel like..

><.

I like the Satchel of Exotic Mysteries. Because even if I don't get something fancy I more often than not get a potion, a flask, a gem or a profession item one of my alts can use.

And it's like

"Hey this is no mount but tis alright".

This is definitely on the table. :)

The satchel is actually a point of reference for what we're thinking.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#35 - Nov. 9, 2012, 11:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
11/09/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Liinx
Oh I've been thinking that my random loot roll would already give me a chance at the mount that drops off of the boss...

It should. I didn't really specify in my original post.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#38 - Nov. 9, 2012, 11:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I do however wish that Sha (and Galleon?) random loot rolls would give you gear based on your spec instead of any spec from your class.

They're supposed to. We just double-checked with the developers on this, as we've seen conflicting information go out to players. If you get loot from world bosses that isn't for your spec, that's a bug and the item flagging needs to be fixed. Be sure to report specific items on the Bug Report forum.

Apologies for any confusion in this regard.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#52 - Nov. 9, 2012, 11:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
11/09/2012 03:28 PMPosted by Paladinchaz
But with that said, we're exploring ways to make the bonus roll feel like more of a random bonus, without just making it extremely efficient for gaining character power. We understand how it feels to spend the charms and rarely see anything other than gold or items you don't need. So, for example, we could maybe add pets and mounts that would have a low chance of dropping exclusively on a bonus roll.

Most people would see that as making it worse, if those items lower the already small chance of getting a useful piece of gear over the 28 fitty.

I don't see why we'd implement this in such a way that your chances of getting gear would be reduced in relation to your chances of getting vanity items, flasks, etc.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#86 - Nov. 10, 2012, 1:30 a.m.
Blizzard Post
11/09/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Ookdooker

They're supposed to. We just double-checked with the developers on this, as we've seen conflicting information go out to players. If you get loot from world bosses that isn't for your spec, that's a bug and the item flagging needs to be fixed. Be sure to report specific items on the Bug Report forum.

Apologies for any confusion in this regard.
If we got loot not for our spec and report this as a bug will we get a the correct loot example i have paladin tanking legs from Sha but i was ret reporting that will my legs get turned into the correct ones? If not then idk if i care enough to put in a ticket

I doubt it. The fact that you won something you can't use for your spec doesn't necessarily mean you should be given something you can use. Customer Support would have to decide which spec-appropriate loot from the boss to give you, which doesn't seem like a fair compromise.

I understand that getting an item you're not supposed to be getting isn't fair either, but there isn't a very good solution I can think of to compensate for this on an individual basis. Either way, I don't decide CS policies and will let them to speak to that. You could inquire on the CS forum and reference this thread to see if they can provide any insight.