Solution to Arena/RBG Activity Issue

#1 - Oct. 22, 2012, 4:01 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hello Blizzard, I hope you read this.

Let me preface this with the fact that Arena, and probably RBG (not sure) activity, is at an all time low. Obviously the age of the game is a big factor, however there's something that can be done to increase general PvP (and mainly Arena) activity.

The solution? Lower the rating requirement for Elite Gear/Weapons.

Less players participating in Arena/RBG = Less inflation of rating. This makes it harder and harder to climb rating for the less experienced players. When you're an 1800-1900 player and struggling to climb, 2200 for elite gear/weapons is a very tiny and distant light at the end of the tunnel. It's so far off that people get discouraged more easily and are far more likely to give up. It's definitely harder than ever for people to reach the 2200 mark and get the shiny toys they desire.

The lack of activity begets even less activity as a result.

If you reduce the Elite requirement to 2k, the 1800-1900 player can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel and it feels less hopeless; his/her goal is much more realistic to reach at this point, and I believe this will encourage a VERY large amount of players to pick up where they left off, and go reach that goal, which is now more realistic to obtain.

Now obviously this doesn't affect me whatsoever, besides the fact that increased activity will make the game more fun to me. It gets old fighting the same few teams over and over, even at 2200~ rating.

And no, this isn't "dumbing it down" or "making it too easy" - the 2200 rating requirement was implemented when there was far more activity (read: MORE INFLATION) and the goal has become far more difficult to reach RELATIVE TO ACTIVITY. There is far less inflation and although the number hasn't moved, the goal is definitely further out of reach than before.

I just want there to be more PvP activity so everyone has more fun, and I think reducing the 2200 Elite gear requirement to 2k would go a long way with stimulating the scene.

And there should be absolutely no one opposed to this. Most people who can reach 2200 and get the Elite gear/Tier 2 weapons doesn't even care about having that over their opponents, and anyone who does complain about this change is a dumpster.

The only reason I'm not suggesting removing the requirement entirely is purely because a lot of people need a goal to look forward to.

That is all.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#96 - Oct. 23, 2012, 6:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
10/21/2012 09:01 PMPosted by Tosan
And no, this isn't "dumbing it down" or "making it too easy" - the 2200 rating requirement was implemented when there was far more activity (read: MORE INFLATION) and the goal has become far more difficult to reach RELATIVE TO ACTIVITY.

I think you'll be interested in what we have to say in an upcoming blog on the subject of PvP.