Blizzard Favoritism for the Horde (Part 2)

#0 - Oct. 25, 2010, 12:55 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Since the original thread reached it's 500 post limit, and I feel there were some really good points mentioned in there that demands Blizzard's attention, I'd like to continue the discussion here. You can read the original thread here:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27397543237&sid=1&pageNo=1

Don't let this issue die. Alliance deserves some type of answer.

#37 - Oct. 26, 2010, 1:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I feel there were some really good points mentioned in there that demands Blizzard's attention

Attention given and lost in a relatively quick time frame. Sorry. :(
#47 - Oct. 26, 2010, 1:36 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

OMFG A BLUE POST.

You do understand our concern though, don't you? We're not talking about a gameplay/class balance issue, we're talking about a SOCIAL issue.

It's just getting a bit disheartening to constantly see the Horde being praised at conventions, on forums, in commercials, even in-game.... and then getting openly ridiculed and boo'd by the majority of the con-goers and developers.

I've been Alliance since Vanilla, and the "FOR THE HORDE" mentality has always been there.

The two factions have vastly different back stories and lore. They're going to appeal to different people for different reasons. The fact that the Horde is mostly comprised of outcast races brings a unique feel to the faction, but the Alliance have an equally important role in the Warcraft universe.

We enjoy playing up the tension between the two factions. If we're telling a good story about the ongoing struggle between the Horde and Alliance, it should instigate social issues. It's still pretty harmless. We are talking about video game identity after all.
#61 - Oct. 26, 2010, 1:44 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I ask again, is Blizzard working on making the Alliance a "cool" faction like the Horde? Or will the horde continue to be considered the "right" faction to roll?

These are false questions. The answers are subjective. You feel uncool playing Alliance? Why are you then?

I played Alliance exclusively for four years before taking a Horde character to 80. My gnome warlock is still considered my main and there's no better race in the game. NO BETTER.
#77 - Oct. 26, 2010, 1:51 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Dude, Z...

You just fell down a notch on my "favorite blue person" meter.

Hate gnomes.

I refuse to continue this discussion if the Alliance don't even accept one of their own!

I'm telling Metzen to write in a truce between gnomes and goblins for the next expansion.... we will join the Horde and see how you like dem apples. Little creatures everywhere rocking your face.
#113 - Oct. 26, 2010, 2:04 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I am just so disappointed that only the Horde gets interesting race relations.

Garrosh:
1. Becomes Warchief, to the disapproval of the Darkspear Troll leader Vul'jin
2. Insults the Darkspear Trolls
3. Gets insulted by Vul'jin
4. Casts out all of the races besides Orcs, Tauren, and Goblin from Orgrimmar
5. Is challenged by Cairne for a duel, wins. Cairne dies by poisoning from the grimtotems and Garrosh helps retake Thunder Bluff from the grimtotems, and then appoints Baine as new leader of the Tauren.
6. Insults Sylvanas and accuses her of becoming like the scourge.
7. Pretty much alienates all of the other races

Now let's see the Alliance...

Varian:
1. Nothing

These comparisons get a little nauseating. You could chase down vague comparisons endlessly and still wind up with little relevant data regarding the stories of the factions, races, and characters.

Since you're on that journey though and paying close attention to the differences between what is happening now with Varian and Garrosh, look up someone named Arthas Menethil. He was once a human prince and destined to take his father's throne as king, but he was corrupted. The story was so compelling in fact, we recently made an expansion based around him.

The lore behind both factions written into games, books, comics, and more is so staggering that it almost seems silly to try and play a quick forum game of compare and contrast.