Social panel?

#0 - Oct. 13, 2010, 6:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Are there new mechanics for creating raids, and browsing your friends list? Searching my keybindings I figured out I could just press 'o' to bring up the old social panel, but why ever would someone remove a social tool from an MMO and bury it? Not intuitive at all...

Anyhows, quite possible I just don't know where to find it now. Has it been moved?
#4 - Oct. 13, 2010, 6:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Anyhows, quite possible I just don't know where to find it now. Has it been moved?

The Social window is definitely still available; the icon itself has simply been moved just to the right of the chat pane. It's yellow and shaped like a little bald dude. You can also access the window by using the default "O" hotkey.

The Friends, Who, Raid, and Chat tabs are all available in the Social window. Guilds now have their own pane which can accessed by pressing the default "J" hotkey or by clicking on the banner icon in the navigation tray.
#6 - Oct. 13, 2010, 6:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
As a bald dude, I demand compensation from Blizzard.

Because you're awesome?
#9 - Oct. 13, 2010, 6:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
i would say its more of a bell shape :)

I've never really met a social bell. A social belle? Maybe.
#25 - Oct. 13, 2010, 7:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Exactly that's what I don't like. I would prefer one "social window" with friends, guild, etc all on separate tabs.

I liked being about to just hit 'O' and see all social aspects. FYI guild is a social thing.

I can certainly appreciate the concern, but I'm curious if you're only feeling this way because you're so used to seeing guild features in the Social window. The separate guild pane is new, and sometimes new things can feel unnatural—that is, until you get to know them.

With all the new features and functionality we've incorporated with guilds (a more robust roster, improved guild controls, news, announcements, upcoming events, and soon leveling, reputation, and perks), it made sense to give them their own home. If they had remained in the Social window, things would have felt a bit crowded. We also wouldn't be able to place as strong an emphasis on guilds in Cataclysm.

I have feeling that, as time goes by, you'll warm up to the guild pane and maybe even it like it more than its previous iterations in the Social window. Thanks for the feedback in the meantime, though. :)
#35 - Oct. 13, 2010, 7:55 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Lylirra, while we have you tethered here...

Thanks for the feedback! With respect to the "Requires an Authenticator" permission, I just recently provided a bit more information in another thread that should address your concerns (quoting that response here for you just for ease of reference):

If a player attaches an Authenticator to his or her Battle.net account, it may take a few days before the guild controls will recognize the Authenticator and allow that player's characters to be moved to a protected guild rank. Since this feature is new with patch 4.0.1, though, this sort of "checking" has to occur globally—so it'll be roughly 72 hours from the first time a character logs in after patching before it will be eligible for an Authenticator-required rank. This wait period will still apply even if a player has had an Authenticator attached to their account for months (or even years).

So, if your guild members logged into their characters on Tuesday, you should be able to promote them without issue to the protected ranks by the end of the week.

Q u o t e:
Edit: "J" was a weird choice for guild. I rebound my "G" button since I never used whatever G was bound to in the first place. :)

We know it's not the most intuitive key, but "J" was certainly chosen for a reason. "G" was already bound to "Target Last Hostile" and we didn't want reassign a long-standing default hotkey.

Several of our UI designers will sometimes lovingly refer to "guilds" as "juilds" in conversation now, though. :P
#39 - Oct. 13, 2010, 8:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
i suppose change is good per Blue poster...so ill deal with changes and see how it goes..

:)

I...that's really cool. I read your original post and admittedly was a bit saddened by it. Thanks for being open to these changes and really giving them a chance.

Once you're more familiar with the new UI layout, should you have any concerns then, please don't hesitate to share them—as well as any ideas you might have for improvement. We're not resistant to change ourselves if it's what's best for the game. :)