Lets get WoW back to it's roots!

Forum Avatar
#1 - May 3, 2012, 3:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
After reading this article
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/05/02/5-awesome-ways-world-of-warcraft-has-improved-since-day-one/

And watching the opening Cinematic here
http://youtu.be/vlVSJ0AvZe0

I came to realize something, The reason I started playing this game was for the war part (aka pvp). I still get tingles when the opening narrator says “The drums of war thunder once again”. The cinematic goes on to show a Night Elf fighting an Orc, A human Mage fighting an Undead Warlock, and a Dwarf Hunter fighting a Tauren Shaman (I think, he has a giant tree for a weapon). Nowhere in the cinematic does it show a group of people fighting some dragon. It is all about the 2 factions fighting one another.

WoW today has evolved into a PvE focused environment, And the formula seems to work. compared to 2005 the relative popularity has grown a great deal. I ask, what have we lost?

It’s just today’s wow seems a bit pasteurized. I understand people do not enjoy being ganked when trying to quest, but this was a part of the game that made it so crazy and fun. Leveling in 2004 from 1-60 was easily the greatest gaming experience of my life. The ganking, random PvP, the camping, and the organizing an entire Zone to group up and kill a high level ganker were some of the most memorable experiences I have had from WoW. If people did not like it, they could always re-rill on a PvE server... Today you can level from 1-85 ON A PVP SERVER and never even see the other faction.

I am hoping MoP and the “No fly” rule in the new zones will do something to reignite some of the horde/alliance rivalry.

Please Blizzard, don’t forgets the roots of this game. This is a faction based war game.

Thank you.

Edit:
1. If you play on a PvE server this post really has nothing to do with you, choosing a PvE server you essentially opted out of all this stuff. No one will force PvP on you.

2. I am fully aware there was no “PvP System” in 2004, but something most of you who did not play back then do not understand is PvP (on pvp servers) was ingrained into the leveling experience from 20-60. When people got to LvL 20 and got to Tarren mill/South Shore, and Ashenvale you would consistently run into the other faction and even though there was no reward for it. People engaged one another in PvP... Because that was just the way it was. This is what us “Old school” players are talking about.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#10 - May 3, 2012, 4:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
After reading this article
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/05/02/5-awesome-ways-world-of-warcraft-has-improved-since-day-one/

And watching the opening Cinematic here
http://youtu.be/vlVSJ0AvZe0

I came to realize something, The reason I started playing this game was for the war part (aka pvp). I still get tingles when the opening narrator says “The drums of war thunder once again”. The cinematic goes on to show a Night Elf fighting an Orc, A human Mage fighting an Undead Warlock, and a Dwarf Hunter fighting a Tauren Shaman (I think, he has a giant tree for a weapon). Nowhere in the cinematic does it show a group of people fighting some dragon. It is all about the 2 factions fighting one another.

WoW today has evolved into a PvE focused environment, And the formula seems to work. compared to 2005 the relative popularity has grown a great deal. I ask, what have we lost?

It’s just today’s wow seems a bit pasteurized. I understand people do not enjoy being ganked when trying to quest, but this was a part of the game that made it so crazy and fun. Leveling in 2004 from 1-60 was easily the greatest gaming experience of my life. The ganking, random PvP, the camping, and the organizing an entire Zone to group up and kill a high level ganker were some of the most memorable experiences I have had from WoW. If people did not like it, they could always re-rill on a PvE server... Today you can level from 1-85 ON A PVP SERVER and never even see the other faction.

I am hoping MoP and the “No fly” rule in the new zones will do something to reignite some of the horde/alliance rivalry.

Please Blizzard, don’t forgets the roots of this game. This is a faction based war game.

Thank you.

We're with you on the idea of getting people engaged in PvP again within the world. As I've said previously though, we have to be careful about how we do that. We'll hopefully have more information for you all on what we have planned that will assuage some fears of those who aren't very PvP passionate, while (hopefully) still making PvP compelling for those who do love taking part. (Raises her hand) While we have many players who enjoy PvP, we have a larger contingent that enjoys PvE more. That makes maintaining balance between the concepts a bit more challenging, but we love challenges.

As far as the story goes, we've talked a bit about that and what's coming is twofold. War is coming to Pandaria, which (while it's had its strife in the past) is largely a peaceful region of Azeroth. That's going to change as the Horde and Alliance start stirring up the dust of the past. Beyond what happens in Pandaria, the Horde and Alliance will be at each others' throats once more. We've mentioned it many times before, but we really do feel that the "war" of Warcraft is going to be featured a bit more prominently in the story. It may not necessarily translate to all out chaos in a direct PvP way, but it will definitely be seen playing out in the storyline itself.

Again, we'll try to bring you more information specifically about the PvP end of our plans (more detail of what was heard from the press event) and get everyone caught up to speed on what we hope this will mean going forward.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#129 - May 3, 2012, 7:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As I've said previously though

Wait, there was another post made less than 24 hours ago asking for more world pvp, What happened to that post? If it isnt still posted it didn't happen? wow just wow

What the other post said was people wanted more world pvp, and some blue ( who ever it was)
said people should not be forced to pvp if they don't want to, even on non pvp servers,,,, you can only guess where this led to.

Mop will be a pve war between the horde vs alliance, this will be a another stepping stone to drive everyone out of the wow except the roll-players.

A pve war is not a war, and as pointed out last night there is no world pvp no new pvp quest zone, but hey we get 3 new bgs and 1 new arena, thats war right?

When is that new world pvp info coming again

wow,, just wow

It's always good to know exactly which post or who the "blue" was you're referring to. Paraphrasing an unreferenced post does little good and is often misleading as to the exact nature of what was said. I'm only referring to my own posts of which I've made many of since as far back as BlizzCon on and off. It wasn't a very recent post, it's true, but the sentiment and goals are the same.

I'm all for people taking part in the discussion here but I'd prefer it a. Stay on topic b. Be constructive. This isn't a PvErs vs. PvPers thread (though I know people are trying to make it that.) I also don't want to see people attacking each other (unless it's in game and within the bounds of the gameplay. ;) ) So please refrain from calling each other out in a way that is non-productive to the discussion.

I'm all for people being passionate about how they feel or what they are concerned about, but spare the venom. It's not needed or necessary.

I am sorry to the CM who posted in this thread if it feels as though im not even giving you a chance, I am.

Hi, I'm Nethaera. I've been around awhile though not as much as I'd like lately. ;) I have a pretty thick skin and amazing fire resist gear. No need to apologize for having an opinion, ever, so long as you are merely sharing your own insights. It's all good.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#136 - May 3, 2012, 7:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post

If this thread is not about pve vs pvp then what is it about?

I didn't say PvE vs. PvP. ;) There's a slight difference. PvPers and PvErs have always "competed" for who has it worse or who needs more of "x" or who is the better player skill etc. It's almost a bit like sibling rivalry. You can debate PvE aspects vs. PvP aspects all you like. It shouldn't be an argument about who needs to suck it up more or who has it harder etc. That's ancillary and not very important to the discussion overall.

We like specifics. We like hearing about your own personal experiences. We like hearing what you like personally (or dislike). We like hearing your feedback. That's more valuable than attacking someone else for their play style or opinions.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#149 - May 3, 2012, 8:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post

I didn't say PvE vs. PvP. ;) There's a slight difference. PvPers and PvErs have always "competed" for who has it worse or who needs more of "x" or who is the better player skill etc. It's almost a bit like sibling rivalry. You can debate PvE aspects vs. PvP aspects all you like. It shouldn't be an argument about who needs to suck it up more or who has it harder etc. That's ancillary and not very important to the discussion overall.

We like specifics. We like hearing about your own personal experiences. We like hearing what you like personally (or dislike). We like hearing your feedback. That's more valuable than attacking someone else for their play style or opinions.

Well you can liken that argument to class balancing as well, them being siblings fighting for supremacy etc. Here is my question for you then, why can't we have both? The game itself has two realm types dedicated to each side, on pve servers, they can simply flag if they wish to engage in world pvp in a more controlled way. Why do PVP players have to be subject to restrictions on pvp realms due to the wants and desires of people who play on pve realms?

The reason (in part) those restrictions have been there is more about development and the additional difficulties that occur in trying to separate the two types of realms too much. You end up (essentially) developing two separate games. That's not what we want to do. If the rule sets diverged too much, that's what we would have ended up with. That's not to say that if we don't have the opportunity or a means to make that less painful on the development team, we won't do it (within reason.)

I'd love to say that all PvPers want the same thing from PvP, but that's not true either. I could talk to ten different people and be told 10 different goals and desires. Some love world PvP. Others won't take part in it unless they know there is some reward for being the victor. Some won't take part if the odds are stacked against them. Others will take part for exactly that reason. They want to prove they can overcome those odds.

To do an analogy (albeit perhaps a weak one), it's like ice cream. All ice cream has similar properties and you'd think that everyone that likes ice cream likes all ice cream. But we know that's not true. People like various kinds of ice cream and dislike various types. So, how do you serve a flavor everyone likes to some degree? That's an oversimplification, but it stands to reason that you have to find something relatively neutral that has the potential to appeal to as many people as possible. You can add in some additional toppings to spice it up as an option for those that want more out of their ice cream.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#258 - May 3, 2012, 11:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We're with you on the idea of getting people engaged in PvP again within the world. As I've said previously though, we have to be careful about how we do that. We'll hopefully have more information for you all on what we have planned that will assuage some fears of those who aren't very PvP passionate, while (hopefully) still making PvP compelling for those who do love taking part. (Raises her hand) While we have many players who enjoy PvP, we have a larger contingent that enjoys PvE more. That makes maintaining balance between the concepts a bit more challenging, but we love challenges.

This is why I'll probably unsubscribe when MoP comes. I hate PVP, I hate being endlessly ganked and graveyard camped and I have better things to do with my time. So, enjoy your design philosophy, because I'm outa here.

Whether you choose to continue to play or purchase Mists of Pandaria is up to you. I'd suggest waiting until you see/hear about the plans first before making any decisions. As I've tried to emphasize, we are working toward making sure we ameliorate your fears as someone who isn't interested in PvP. I think though, that you're putting the cart before the horse in this case and assuming the worst, much the same as those who are on the PvP side of the fence. We haven't even fully discussed the details of the design philosophy with you as of yet for you to dislike it.