New Reporting System Potential for Abuse

#1 - April 17, 2012, 9:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
EDIT: Turns out I was wrong, and you can indeed turn your chat off. Can I get a response though as to how this isn't going to be abused by groups of people? i.e. Alterac Valley premades decide they don't like a particular person who happens to be talking back, and decide to mass report said person. Am I to believe that with the increased amount of reports coupled with the fact that GM's have recently been laid off, Blizzard will be second-checking the reports before jumping to conclusions and banning innocent people?
Forum Avatar
Customer Support
#34 - April 17, 2012, 11:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Reporting players is a method of bringing potential policy violations to our attention, not a method of punishment.

A Game Master will review the information, apply our policies and, as appropriate, a penalty to the reported account ranging from warning to account closure. If no policy was violated, the user is never informed their account was reported, and the issue is closed out.
Forum Avatar
Customer Support
#55 - April 18, 2012, 12:13 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Our Terms of Use and In-Game Policies dictate guidelines for what isn't acceptable in our games, Aceventauren. Our goal in enacting and enforcing these policies is that we foster and allow for a safe and fun environment for all players. Are some players unaffected by profanity? Yes. Are some players offended by profanity? Yes. Ultimately we work to enact a balance that allows players to express their feelings and thoughts without offending others and encroaching on their experience.

The question as to why profanity offends people or why society sees these items as "taboo" is beyond the scope of these forums. I realize your desire to discuss philosophy on this topic, but the Customer Service Forums are not the appropriate place to do so.