DK tanking - one thing we NEED

#0 - Oct. 4, 2010, 9 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Fix the Rune Strike mechanic.

This has been said 1000 times throughout various posts. Among claimed issues with Runic Empowerment, aoe tank threat, and so forth I find the Rune Strike mechanic to be the most bothersom.

Rune Strike needs to become our new heroic strike. As avoidance drops to a mere 20-25% when we hit 85 our only snap threat ability's proc is cut in half. Sure, the clunky mechanics of dancing rune weapon help our threat, but seeing a lvl 82 creeping up on a lvl 85 DK tank's threat is more than concerning.

Ghostcrawler has stated that DKs are supposed to be proc based. If Rune Strike must be proc based, perhaps make it proc off melee attacks, incoming damage, etc. Personally I'd prefer to see it cost RP (or none), have increase threat in Blood Presence, and be on a 4 second cooldown. Of course we need the DK dps'ers to have a reduced effect for Rune Strike to avoid it replacing deathcoil. There are many other options to fix RS and if you are not aware of these I encourage you to read user posts, see the concerns for yourself, and look at all the feedback.

i'd like to hear people's thoughts on this. I have run at least 50-60 heroics on the PTR, read numerous threads from BETA testers, and i'd like to think my concerns are justified. BLUE, what do you think? I want to focus on my procs, fight mechanics, and managing defensive cooldowns. The mark of a good tank is being able to do all this while keeping threat. Sure, it shouldnt be faceroll as it is in WOTLK, but when looking at other classes such as warriors, pallys, and druids I don't see their top threat abilities RNG based like DKs. Shouldnt threat be based on skill and not RNG?
#14 - Oct. 5, 2010, 12:08 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We changed Rune Strike to: after a dodge or parry or whenever you are in Blood Presence.
#33 - Oct. 5, 2010, 12:42 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
We can use RS any time we have 20 RP if we are in blood presence, No cd other then GCD. No need for avoidance to light it up.

Correct.