Blizz: Only Gameplay, orcs, and humans matter

#1 - April 12, 2012, 11:55 p.m.
Blizzard Post
What's your opinion on this? Metzen stated in his interview that only orcs and humans matter, so why do we even have the other races? Aesthetics?

Think hard people, before you dismiss these threads as QQ out of hand, go back through the story and look through it, consider how it's presented to new players, look at the way the story's been changed, and developed since WC3 and decide whether you're really happy, and want to keep supporting Blizzard.

Look at what Blizzard says and how.

Remember how they've told the Alliance they'll 'fistbump' yet the only thing happening is them helping Thrall get back on the throne of the Horde.

Thrall who hates slavery.

Thrall who logged in ashenvale (Like Garrosh)

Thrall who killed dwarves in southern kalimdor (Like Garrosh; seriously, an old thousand needles quest had him send a war party to wipe out a bunch of diggers).

Thrall that allowed Reghar Earthfury, a slave owner, to be his advisor.

Thrall who made Gallywix leader of the Goblins after he tried to kill him, and was a slave owner.

Thrall, who, apparently, the Horde can't wipe its nose without.

Think Hard People.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#9 - April 13, 2012, 12:07 a.m.
Blizzard Post
What's your opinion on this? Metzen stated in his interview that only orcs and humans matter, so why do we even have the other races? Aesthetics?

You didn't just quote him out of context. You changed the meaning of what he said altogether:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/30/chris-metzen-on-mists-of-pandarias-story-and-why-the-players-are-the-real-villains/

Chris Metzen:
"...the pillars of the franchise are orcs and humans; it really is the Alliance and Horde by extension, and it really is those two groups beating the brains out of each other for an extended period of time. That’s always gotta be what Warcraft is about..."

He's saying that the franchise began with orcs and humans. Those two races are the pillars upon which the Alliance and Horde were built. But the story has progressed and evolved so much since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Just because the faction rivalry has its foundations in a war between two races doesn't mean we think no other races matter.

I'm not saying his statements shouldn't be up for discussion. But I beg you not to start the discussion based on a false pretense.

Edit:

04/12/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Skytotem
Look at what Blizzard says and how.

Seriously. Look.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#104 - April 13, 2012, 1:45 a.m.
Blizzard Post
04/12/2012 05:26 PMPosted by Ferlion
Why, exactly would I want to follow a king who is not only thousands of years younger, but who you claim was delibratly written to be an !@#$%^- (and sorry for the language thing here, and I'll have to find the interview, but it was Blizzards words, and not mine).

This, again, can be drawn back to my reason for responding to this thread. You don't have the exact quote, but you're claiming we said Varian was written to be an [expletive deleted]. I don't know what quote you're referring to because, well, neither do you it seems. But I think I know where the general phrase you picked up on came from.

Chris said in interviews during the Mists of Pandaria press tour that Varian was written with several character flaws, and we expected him to have likability issues. The whole point was to create a character who was a little rough around the edges. It makes for a more interesting story when you see a flawed individual rise up to the challenges of being a truly great leader, which is what we have in store for Varian this expansion. So it was important for us to give him a bit of dimension in terms of personality.

Now, sure, I'm paraphrasing what Chris said as well. The difference here though is I sat in with him on multiple interviews where he relayed this sentiment. So my paraphrasing is more accurate than yours. :p

If what he was saying has been taken "out of context" then why are you making such efforts to ensure humans and orcs are always the "guys in charge" or superior to everyone else?

We're not going out of our way to ensure they're always the ones in charge. But that's been the natural progression since the Horde were founded more or less under absolute rule by the most powerful chief of the most powerful orc clan.

And even the High King idea (which frankly shatters what many feel is the thematic of an Alliance) seems to support this idea.

Similar to what I said about the Horde above, the Alliance formed an allegiance around human kingdoms. If you're suggesting they're thematically better served by a republic or democracy, Azeroth lore says otherwise.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#113 - April 13, 2012, 1:52 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So, regardless of whether I am or not, I'm not posting or playing anymore.

I don't enjoy the game, and whether the problem is me or not, it's all done with.

Goodbye and I hope everyone does whatever they think is best.

Okay, thanks for your feedback, Skytotem. You've certainly put a lot of time and effort into sharing it. I'll give you that.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#364 - April 13, 2012, 7:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
04/12/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Gibbet
I imagine this is why Zarhym drinks.

I haven't had a drink this year, thank you very much! I've been on the forums long enough that they've caused me to drink, AND caused me to stop drinking. :p