Philisophical: White Dmg & Melee GCD

#0 - Sept. 24, 2010, 7:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
One of the biggest issues I have with the difference between Casters and Melee, is that Melee have a natural buffer for DPS, white damage.

That is, just by standing next to the boss melee will put out a sizeable chunk of DPS w/o having to push a single button. I see this as a design flaw. It inately compresses the gap between "good players" and "bad players."

That is, if white damage makes up as much as 50% of total damage, then "skilled" players only have a gap of 50% to play with. When compared against casters, which have no white damage, the "possible" gap is 100%.

Additionally, white damage is not what I would consider "fun" it's entirely passive and I do nothing to attain it. Moreover, because the damage exists, it reduces the "fun" factor by limitting the amount of damage active abilities can do.

Note: I know that there are lots of things that "buff" white damage that might skew the numbers up even though the player is actively doing things to improve white damage.

So the goal of my proposal is to:
1) Increase the "skill gap" for melee players
2) Increase the "fun" factor for melee players

Proposal: Remove white damage from the game, and have melee DPS GCD = weapon Swing Timer.

Rationale:

- Skill Gap Increases: Now that there is no white damage buff, the skill gap increases.

- Weapon Speed Matters: Players get to pick their "style" of play. Fast and Furious or Slow and Heavy?

- Rotations: Rotations could be "normalized" that is, CDs & Resource costs would be scaled. (e.g., 2xResources (and CD) for a 2 second weapon vs. a 1 second weapon).

- Free Time:Blizzard's concern that melee players don't have time to look around is removed, because players that want this additional free time get it (by using "slow" 2hnders)

Note: Obviously this would require a lot of balancing

Thoughts?
#39 - Sept. 25, 2010, 7:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I could see a model where a melee class just stands there until they hit a button and all of their damage is pushed into those buttons. It's a pretty big change though. For starters, many spells used by casters have actual cast bars (and can be interrupted) while melee are mostly using instant attacks. Casters do damage every 2 sec or so, while melee could do damage every 1.5 or 1 sec, as long as resources held out. It's probably possible to do, but it is a really big change.