Unofficial API Wishlist

#1 - March 28, 2012, 11:40 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I am following the discussion about the Community Platfrom API (BCP-API) for quite some time and coding my own little java dataming library. We all know that Straton and his team doesn't have much time to implement anything new or fix bugs at the moment. So i think it is a good idea to let Blizzard know which things, we would like to be added/fixed the most. It is hard to keep track of all the feature requests in the various forum threads. I created a "wishlist" using Google Moderator.

http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=1fb501

It is pretty simple. Everyone can vote and comment on ideas and submit their own ideas for others to vote on. The ideas are ranked by their popularity. Of cause Blizzard isn't bound to this list, but maybe it helps them to spend the little time they have for the BCP-API the most efficent.

Current top 10 (30.03.2012):
x. (pro/con) topic/description

1. (12/0) Enchant information
2. (8/1) Itemset Information (set name, set item names and set bonuses)
3. (7/1) Reforge information (mapping id to reforged stats)
4. (7/1) List of sold auctions
5. (7/1) Identification token for identifing character owners
6. (5/1) Information about mobs (name, zone, etc.)
7. (5/1) Updating BCP-API documentation
8. (6/2) Additional information about misc spells on item ("Equip", "Use", ...)
9. (6/2) Diablo 3 API (currently planned for a future release)
10.(6/3) Starcraft 2 API

Update: Clarified "BCP-API". Thought that it was an common abbreviation.
Update: Added current Top 10
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#2 - March 28, 2012, 5:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We would rather the community use this forum to suggest and discuss ideas. I'm also not sure what you mean when you say 'BCP-API'.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#4 - March 28, 2012, 6:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Ah.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#6 - March 28, 2012, 6:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm really not inclined to do that. As I've said before, the WoW API is on the back burner while D3 (and others) are in motion. I don't want the creation of a sticky wishlist thread to get peoples hopes up that we'd be spending any time on the ideas that come from it. Besides, we have a pretty long list of things that we want to do anyway. Adding to that list wouldn't help any of the current items get done faster.

Also, we tend to not have 'wishlist' threads on the forums as a general practice.
Forum Avatar
Web & Mobile Team
#14 - March 29, 2012, 10:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Besides, we have a pretty long list of things that we want to do anyway. Adding to that list wouldn't help any of the current items get done faster.

The idea was to help you priortise your Todo-list. No one requires you to implement the features in the order of the wishlist or implement them ASAP. We all know that your priorities lie elsewhere at the moment. At least for me this isn't a problem. Please see it as a hint what your customers would like the most. The cost/benefit considerations is strictly your area.

When it comes to voting on / sorting of ideas, the forum doesn't provide the required tools and doing manual would ge really messy really fast. Voting on Posts is only possible for non-starter accounts, so all non-US players would be excluded.

Currently 12 person have cast 78 votes on 12 ideas. I would really appreciate it, if you would let us continue suggesting ideas.

Well, I'm certainly not saying that you and anyone shouldn't use that website. I'm really just giving honest feedback about two things:

1. We, as in Blizzard, are very unlikely to use an external site to engage the community. We haven't done that in the past and have a lot of reasons for not doing so in the future.

2. We, as in the developers of the community websites and services, really have an immense amount of work and features planned out for the forseeable future. Adding another avenue for collecting feedback, which we historically don't do, would require us (as in me and a few other developers/blues) to spend even more time managing the community instead of working on said features.

I love the feedback, I really do. I wouldn't have pushed so hard for the API, the policy documents/acknowledgement/, and this special developer forum if I didn't. But we are simply too busy to take another of many possible ways to get more ideas of stuff to do.

<3