Deep Healing: The better you are....

#0 - Sept. 19, 2010, 10:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Does anyone else find the bonus of Deep Healing mastery curious?

Deep Healing: Increases the potency of your (either heal over time for druids or direct heals for shammies) by up to 20%, based on the current health level of your target...

I understand the basic rationale: The more hurt a target is, the more you can heal, making wipes less likely. BUT its seems weird because this rationale is only good as long as you are progressing. Once you and your guild get geared up and becomes familiar with the content, there is no reason for people to drop low on health.

In short: the better you are, the weaker this mastery is. For example, your guild is all geared up and knows all the fights; at that point the mastery becomes very useless (since your raid should not be dropping in health a lot) and so you shouldn't be receiving a bonus to your heals from the Mastery. At the same time the Pallies and Priests all have better heals because of their mastery. This is especially bad for druids, since by the time their HoTs tick, the target players should have already been suffeciently healed. Also, given the fact that Cata will not have spikey damage, i dont EVER expect anyone in a geared and experienced raid to drop below 50% (i am exaggerating, but the overall point remains the same)

Anyways, this mastery just seems weird to me and i dont really like it. It kinda of beats the whole point of progressing and getting better and better geared.

Any thoughts?

Edit: clarity
#36 - Sept. 20, 2010, 9:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We like the shaman version. The druid one is problematic for a couple of reasons. Conceptually, a hot is often the last thing you think of putting on someone who is grievously wounded. Second, at the moment the bonus is only calculated on the initial application and not the ticks. If we can fix that problem, then the druid mastery would be better. It's also possible we'll just redesign it.
#64 - Sept. 20, 2010, 11:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
New Resto druid mastery: Increases the potency of your heals on targets upon which you have a hot.

It benefits both hots and direct heals equally while still supporting Resto being a healer that cares a lot about hots. It encourages layering different spells while disincentivizing Rejuv blanketing.

Examples:

1) You cast Regrowth on someone who has a Rejuv = bonus healing.
2) You cast Nourish on someone who has a Lifebloom = bonus healing.
3) You Swiftmend a Rejuv = bonus healing.
4) You cast a Rejuv on someone who does not have a Regrowth, LB or WG on them = no bonus healing.
5) You cast Rejuv on someone who has a Rejuv = no bonus healing. (You merely refreshed Rejuv.)
6) You cast a Wild Growth = bonus healing on those with preexisting hots.
#146 - Sept. 21, 2010, 1:57 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
C). Rejuv, then LBx3. Rejuv falls off, and LBx3 is refreshed by Nourish. Will the LB ticks retain the mastery benefit?

Yes. There was a hot on the target, so Nourish benefits (from the mastery in addition to Nourish just working that way).

Q u o t e:
If someone gets low and they don't have a HoT on them already, are you really going to want to put on a HoT, THEN a heal? Probably not.

My impression is that some of you are going from the extreme of "Rejuv everyone in the raid" to "Rejuv nobody but the tank." The reality will probably be somewhere in the middle. Some targets will have hots on them and some won't. The more hots you can keep up, the better off you'll be, but you'll have to balance that against the mana cost of doing so. I don't think it's as simple as "always do X."