Missing out on Scroll of Resurrection

#1 - March 7, 2012, 12:41 a.m.
Blizzard Post
A free upgrade to Cata and a boost to level 80 for players that HAVEN'T been paying you money; but if you have an active subscription then tough poop to you. Shameful. Players who abandoned you are being rewarded while those who have stuck it out get nothing.

This angers me greatly because I have a friend who just re-subbed three-ish months ago and still doesn't have Cata (working our way through Outland atm so saw no need to upgrade), and now they won't get a free upgrade / level 80 boost because they decided to come back 3 months ago instead of now.

Like I said, shameful. Horrible way to treat your long term customers.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#210 - March 8, 2012, 5:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
A free upgrade to Cata and a boost to level 80 for players that HAVEN'T been paying you money; but if you have an active subscription then tough poop to you. Shameful. Players who abandoned you are being rewarded while those who have stuck it out get nothing.

This angers me greatly because I have a friend who just re-subbed three-ish months ago and still doesn't have Cata (working our way through Outland atm so saw no need to upgrade), and now they won't get a free upgrade / level 80 boost because they decided to come back 3 months ago instead of now.

Like I said, shameful. Horrible way to treat your long term customers.

I'm going to respond to this simply because I've seen this sort of sentiment before, and while I have no doubt that not everyone will accept the answer I will give here, I'm going to give it anyway.

There is an assumption that we don't care about our long term customers. This couldn't be further from the truth. We absolutely care, and part of that is the ongoing efforts we make every day to communicate, to share what we're doing, to listen to what you are saying here and elsewhere about what more you want to see in the game and more. We also heard you say that you wanted to get your friends back that have previously left the game, so we revisited the Scroll of Resurrection so you could see about enticing them to return and play. This is our way of empowering you with a way to convince your friends that there is a benefit to coming back and that it will be as painless as possible to get caught up with you (thus the boost and transfer.) The level differences and even realm differences are often something people have said serve as a barrier to convincing their friends to return. So, we're doing what we can to move those obstacles away, at least for a little while.

I'm sorry to hear that your own friend wasn't able to benefit from the promotion, but there has to be a start and end to these things. Anytime we've run promotions in the past, there has always been someone somewhere who didn't get a chance to take part. We do what we can though to spread the word and make it as available as possible, but we have to be careful about limitations as well. We'll make sure to let people know if new such opportunities come up. It sounds as if (though) that you're having a good time leveling up together and that seems like a big win for you overall. We hope that you continue to do so since having fun is what the game is all about.

Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#224 - March 8, 2012, 5:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post

Has a date been posted yet as to when this promotion will end? I have a few friends on the fence about it. I would like to give them a deadline so they can make a choice before it stops.

It's for a limited period of time, but we don't have a specific date to give you. We'll do our best to give people some warning before it ends. I'd tell your friends that it's better to do it sooner rather than later to be safe, but it's completely up to them on what works for them. Since the promotion just started, we still have some time yet though.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#443 - March 8, 2012, 9:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Posted by Nethaera
We're not "giving away" a level 80 character. We're boosting a single (already existing) character to 80 to help returning players be able to play with their friends. Leveling from 1-80 is still a perfectly valid and viable means of play that isn't being eliminated.

Quoted from another thread.

Nethaera. Im Sorry but you are partially wrong. "We're boosting a single (already existing)" They can go in create a new toon and boost him. Maybe this is unintended maybe its not but you are giving away a free level 80.

No need to apologize for the correction. I appreciate it. I had to double-check, but you're right. Someone can boost a newly created character from what I've been told. Again though, this is for an account that previously had characters on it, so it's not a completely new account that is being given this. The end goal is the same in that we wanted to make it easier for people to be able to get back in the game and play with their friends.

I also wanted to thank everyone who's continued to share constructive feedback about this. It's all being noted and will be forwarded on. As always though, please try to be respectful of others' opinions. Whether or not you agree with them is no reason to be harassing or posting defamatory language toward anyone.