Caster Hit Trinkets: Cata Edition

#0 - Sept. 17, 2010, 2:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
So apparently it's looking like Maghia is rearing his/her ugly head in early cata on another vendor. Really? So my question I pose is: Are there going to be non hit rating non spirit caster items for every other slot since nobody will use that trinket otherwise?

Why in god's name does every other trinket from Barradin Keep offer a lucrative non capping stat other than the caster trinket? The only one close to being as potentially terrible is the tank one since it's dodge and dodge.

Let's fix this now one way or the other in that either give all casters non hit non spirit items for every slot along with the hit items or STOP making hit trinkets for casters as the only caster trinket from vendors. Almost nobody who is anybody other than some fire mages who have bad trinket luck have used Maghia's. The only other people using the hit trinkets are guildless, alts, or just bad players and typically are like 4% over the hit cap without the trinket already.

So to conclude, STOP making caster hit rating trinkets on vendors, or offer both a hit rating trinket and a non hit rating trinket for caster dps. If you do the latter of the 2, keep in mind you would then also have to offer physical dps a hit trinket.
#74 - Sept. 17, 2010, 9:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As an almost universal rule, we don't want to solve "I don't like that stat" problems by just not making gear with that stat. The eventual result of such a design would be that all of your gear looks alike. That's a problem WoW has in general, so we like to actually get the most out of what few stats we have.

Several players could get in a state where they were hit capped in LK and then just kept getting more and more hit on higher level items. We are trying to fix that this time around in a number of ways:

1) Making all stats more attractive, rather than having the good stat vs. the garbage stat.
2) Getting rid of so many passive hit buffs, such as the draenei racial and class raid buffs.
3) Requiring higher combat ratings for additional content tiers. What hit caps you for 4.0 won't be sufficient in 4.1, so the extra budge on the 4.1 gear will be helpful.
4) Reforging. If all else fails and you just find yourself over the hit cap (or over-enriched in any other stats) you can remove part of the less desirable stat.

In all of these cases I'm talking about stats that actually show up on your gear. It's fine if mages don't care about Agi or warriors don't care about Spirit. But crit, haste and mastery should be universally desirable, and one of those should not trump the other two by being 2x more valuable.
#134 - Sept. 18, 2010, 3:19 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Regarding the trinkets... I seriously hope there are a LOT more trinkets dropping in Cataclysm. EVERYONE needs TWO, so having only one per raid that's worthwhile is EXTREMELY frustrating for EVERYONE involved.

We agree with that. Trinkets were so hard to get that when one of yours wasn't perfectly optimized, it was devastating. There are more sources of trinkets in Cataclysm.
#135 - Sept. 18, 2010, 3:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
How come my spells are missing ? I'm hit capped.
What's your hit at ?
500. (Let's pretend the cap is 500.)
500 was the cap in 4.1, the new cap is 600.

I mean, you regularly have players asking what's the cap now and it hasn't changed since the beginning of WOTLK.

We changed the character sheet to tell you specifically what you need to hit a target of your level, your level plus three, etc. We'll use the same system to tell you what you need to hit a 4.1 boss.

I don't disagree that it's a confusing mechanic in general though.