I want to work for blizzard!!!!

#0 - Sept. 15, 2010, 11:47 a.m.
Blizzard Post
i really really want to work for blizzard. i am an artist and am i 18, the issue is i have to wait two years before my lease is up for my apartment in texas. i want to move to irvine, california and work there as a concept artist. i have alot of ideas and i love blizzard to death. i study alot about blizzard and the history. the other issue is finding an apartment in california that doesn't cost a fortune. i'm really hoping to apply and get accepted to blizzard. my husband is an extremely good artist too. he used to sell his art and he's drawn the most amazing WoW characters, best i've seen is the troll and worgen. Both of us want to apply for blizzard. does anyone know if blizzard would allow me and my husband to apply at their company? We both love blizzard and it is a dream to work for them. i hope we can get accepted when we apply about a few months before our lease is over
#38 - Sept. 16, 2010, 7:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
For any position you see listed in the Blizzard Entertainment Career Opportunities directory, please feel free to apply! In fact, if you feel you're qualified for a position right now and would be able to fulfill all job requirements as listed, then we definitely encourage you to submit an application online. We love adding new members to the Blizzard family. :)

Here's the directory link: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/directory.html#region=Americas

If you're interested in becoming a concept artist for World of Warcraft, specifically, then I would recommend that you review the posted job description in detail. You might also want to review other descriptions for similar positions in different departments. This will give you a pretty good understanding of the qualities we appreciate in our artists, and you can tailor your portfolio and application from there—or your education path, if needed.

Here's the job description link for the listed concept / 2D artist for World of Warcraft: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=09000A2

Q u o t e:
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for an exceptionally skilled concept artist to work on World of Warcraft. The ideal candidate has experience concept drawing and illustrating a diverse visual range of environments and architecture as well as experience with character design and 2D environment texturing. The concept artist must have a strong understanding of, and a desire to quickly design, a multitude of assets that fit the visual art style of World of Warcraft. An exceptional understanding of form, structure, color, and light and a creative imagination is essential. The concept artist should have a basic understanding of game art creation (low-poly modeling and texturing) and be well-versed in related tools -- Photoshop, Painter, 3ds Max, etc. The ideal candidate works well in an environment of peers who are passionate about making great games.

Requirements

• Experience with Photoshop, Painter, and/or 3ds Max
  • An exceptional understanding of human and creature anatomy and a keen eye towards form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regards to illustration and design
  • Superior eye for light, value, composition, color, staging, and detail in environmental design
  • Understanding of the visual style of World of Warcraft and a passion to push it to the next level
  • The ability to carry an idea from the conceptual phase to the finished illustration and an understanding of translating these ideas to real-time game environments
  • Self-motivation, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
  • A passion for games
  • Skill in one or more of the related creation tasks -- modeling, texturing, animation
  • Ability to work full-time in the Irvine area

Pluses

• Have shipped AAA PC or console titles as a concept artist
  • Strong foundation in the traditional arts, including but not limited to figure drawing, landscape painting, and illustration
  • A passion for developing online games

And here's a few other links that you may want to bookmark, as well:

Careers FAQ: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/faq.html
University Relations: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/university.html

It's so wonderful that you and your husband are pursuing your dreams and will be able to share in your successes together. Take care in your journeys, and I wish you both the best of luck! :)