To Experienced/Longtime Players: Alt Leveling

#1 - Feb. 23, 2012, 9:42 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Have any of you leveled up a new race/class purely with the intention of experiencing the new content? What were your experiences?

I myself have started leveling a night elf (after being primarily horde for 5 years), and after a day and a half or more's worth of play time, I'm only level 40. My personal rules for leveling my alt are: No Dungeons, No Battlegrounds, No heirlooms, and No leaving a zone until the quest achievement is complete. I also rerolled on a new server to prevent help from friends.

To be honest, I haven't enjoyed leveling this much in a very long time. Once I let go of the race to play my class at end game (grinding dungeons/bgs in heirlooms to hit 85 in 2 weeks), I finally can say that I am happy logging in for an hour or two. There isn't frustration at doing things I've already done a dozen times. The immersive feeling from when I first started the game came back.

I focus on the game story, and the development of zones. I think it is refreshing, how about you guys?

Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#32 - Feb. 24, 2012, 3:22 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Great post, Vailence!

I have absolutely leveled up a new race/class combination purely with the intention of experiencing new content. When Cataclysm premiered, I was eager to not only view the new opening cinematics for each race, but I was especially eager to check out the new quests and leveling experiences that became available when the world as we knew it was torn asunder.

In addition to playing through both the worgen and goblin areas multiple times, I also enjoyed trying out some of the new race/class combinations that became available, such as the tauren paladin. I’ve leveled up quite a number of characters over the years, so it was really refreshing to be able to have so much new and exciting story content to go through. I found that I particularly enjoyed taking my time to check out and complete the quest chains in each zone before moving on to the next one. Thankfully, since I had so many fresh alts to choose from, I didn’t have a problem hitting most of the quest hubs scattered around Azeroth over the passing months.

Leveling new alts has continued to be a lot of fun for me, and it’s rather neat being able to take a second-look at pieces of gear in terms of future Transmogrification potential. That sort of thing certainly didn’t pass through my mind when I played through some of those quests and evaluated their rewards originally!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#114 - Feb. 24, 2012, 8:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
World of Warcraft has a lot to explore and seeing something new, or in a different way, can help revitalize the excitement that accompanies our adventures. Every so often I make an alt and slowly explore their surroundings to help reinforce my immersion. I like being filled in on some NPC’s back story that my main character either glossed over or never found out. I also really like the small circle of friends you meet who often are also enjoying a fresh perspective in Azeroth.