Transmogging weapons

#1 - Feb. 2, 2012, 7:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Just curious as to why its possible to freely transmog between gun, bow and xbow, but other weapon types have to be kept the same?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#16 - Feb. 2, 2012, 8:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/02/2012 11:35 AMPosted by Oren
Just curious as to why its possible to freely transmog between gun, bow and xbow, but other weapon types have to be kept the same?

Remember that Transmogrification isn't 'done', and that more changes might come in the future. At first, we had concerns that if we allowed non-ranged weapons to be transmogrified into completely different weapons that they would lose a sense of flavor and identity. Our perspective may be changing on that front, though, and over time the current restrictions could be eased further.

Anyway, it's because hunter ranged weapons each make a distinct sound that they were a bit more loosely restricted in this first pass. I'm sure that the hunters in the audience can explain why that's valuable.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#34 - Feb. 2, 2012, 8:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/02/2012 12:23 PMPosted by Mediana
I think you missed the intention. If they were to release mogging one weapon into another, the restriction that the class should be able to equip it still applies.

Correct, and I want to reiterate that we're still talking 'if', not 'when'.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#39 - Feb. 2, 2012, 8:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/02/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Lumineus
Still, you have to admit that their original example of "we don't want a Death Knight wearing a cloth dress" was a bit silly considering the popularity of the original DK green set, which is... a cloth dress...

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment, or at least, not that example. The death knight start items look good, and were designed for the death knight class. It's not exactly a Lovely Dress from the Love Is In The Air event.

Might? What happened to will?

Will refers to easing restrictions in general, just not necessarily this one in particular.

What about lightening up on restrictions?

We still want Transmogrification to evolve, so that's still likely.

Am I never going to be able to transmog my gas mask?

(゚ヮ゚)?*

*This face doesn't mean anything.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#49 - Feb. 2, 2012, 8:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Anyway, it's because hunter ranged weapons each make a distinct sound that they were a bit more loosely restricted in this first pass.

Maces, swords, axes, and polearms sound different, as well. Personally I can't stand the dull thunk of maces.

I'm not saying they don't, but the differences weren't a consideration to us because we based the decision on pre-transmogrification player feedback. We heard a reasonable number of concerns about hunter weapon sounds, but none at all about other weapons.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#51 - Feb. 2, 2012, 8:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/02/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Korlek
Why aren't there anymore 2H caster maces? Or strength polearms?

We've moved away from making really "wacky" decisions about item stat assignment to make weapon selection more intuitive. These aren't rules that are written in stone, of course, just general guidelines we've been following to make it more clear which classes a particular type of item is likely to be good for.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#54 - Feb. 2, 2012, 8:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I normally don't do this but, ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

So much rage.

┬─┬ノ(º_ºノ) ┬─┬

There, that's better.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#64 - Feb. 2, 2012, 8:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Is there a timeline for the loosening of Trasmog restrictions? Is their anything on the table as of yet?

Do you guys have any plans to eventually loosen the resections completely?

I love Transmog. ^_^

There's not really a specific timeline established, no. I think it's reasonable to look forward to incremental changes, as we have time to implement them, and as they make sense. We're also looking at finding new ways of making Transmogrification fun and rewarding.

On the other hand, I don't currently see a future where all restrictions are dropped completely, but I've learned that it's also generally wise to avoid the word "never".

I do too. It's funny - I have my old tier sets, but my favorite transmog set right now is comprised mostly of a bunch of level 20 greens I bought off of the auction house.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#80 - Feb. 2, 2012, 9:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/02/2012 01:02 PMPosted by Nirto
I'll flip you too then!

I'll flip ya. Flip ya fo real.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#95 - Feb. 2, 2012, 9:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
02/02/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Aesis
They want to take their time and make the right decision, rather than give us stuff and then take it away once it gets out of hand

Yes. We really, really want to avoid accidentally going to far then find ourselves in the position of having to take options away.

02/02/2012 12:39 PMPosted by Celdor
How about the main hand weapons, is there any reason we cant mog these?

The one hand/main hand/offhand restriction is also something we're looking at.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#132 - Feb. 2, 2012, 10:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Excuse me, but... are you joking?

I don't know about other people in the game, but I know that when tmog was still only on the PTR, I was spreading my concerns and complaints about not being able to tmog a 1H mace into a 1H axe. Surely I wasn't the only one, and surely my feedback wasn't going unheeded.

When I was talking pre-Transmogrification, I meant before 'mogging was a glimmer in Ghostcrawler's eye.... stalk.

I think it bears mentioning that we carefully assessed all the incoming feedback, and as we mentioned when we introduced Transmogrification, we wanted to start very slow and potentially ease restrictions later.

Edit: Also, was I referring to concerns about weapon types in the context of the sounds they make, which was what the poster I responded to expressed a concern about.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#186 - Feb. 3, 2012, 3:11 a.m.
Blizzard Post
02/02/2012 05:18 PMPosted by Savario
Really? Yes you didn't hear anything about melee weapon sounds, but you heard PLENTY about the weapon type matching for melee being incredibly unfair and overly-restrictive... Sigh.

That post was in specific response to a player who was expressing a concern about weapon sounds, including melee weapons. Taken out of context, it's not correct - we did see other feedback about players expressing a desire to swap different types of weapon in the same slot - but our concern was with whether doing so would make the distinction between different weapon drops feel less meaningful.