Ask The Devs!

#1 - Jan. 18, 2012, 11:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
What ever happened to Ask The Devs?? Did they just completely scrap it. I was trying to find an old quote for another forum and came across the old Q&A. I really loved that too. It had a good insight into what the devs were thinking and working on at the current time.

Please bring back Ask The Devs!!

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3127940 that was the last one they did back in July last year. There are links to all the previous ones in there too.

Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#7 - Jan. 19, 2012, 1:17 a.m.
Blizzard Post
These turned in to the live Q&A's we hold using CoverItLive. You can see the two we've done so far for World of Warcraft:

Mists of Pandaria - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3825589
Class Design & Balance - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3914934

We plan to continue using CoverItLive for live dev Q&A's. No plans at current to go back to the old static AskTheDevs version.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#20 - Jan. 19, 2012, 2:19 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I wrote a novella of a response to this thread before realizing Bashiok stealthed in and sniped this discussion. So I'm going to post my response anyway!

He says I'm too long winded. I say I'm more comprehensive. :p

They switched to the live Q&A, but then stopped doing those too for some reason.

This is sort of correct. We feel that the CoverItLive platform we used for two developer Q&As post-BlizzCon is a better format. The methods for choosing questions are never perfect -- especially when there are so many -- but CoverItLive allows us to answer more questions much more quickly than we did with "Ask the Devs," not to mention it takes up way less time for our developers.

We haven't stopped doing the CoverItLive developer Q&As. There are a couple of reasons we haven't done this in a while. For one, there are only so many questions we can field regarding future content (in this case Mists of Pandaria) before we have to step back and say, "wait until we have these things more fleshed out so we can put the upcoming features in a contextual preview." Also, we really want to make sure there isn't an expectation that these Q&As will be done at regular intervals. We'll host them when we feel they'll appropriately compliment new information that's gone out.

We are in the initial planning stages of the next Q&A for World of Warcraft, but its timing is still contingent upon a lot of other things. It just doesn't make sense to host another one right now when we haven't really released further previews of the next expansion since BlizzCon.

That said, our goal is to try and cover as much ground with CoverItLive as possible. We want to expose you to different development teams at appropriate times (whether it be class designers, UI designers, the art team, etc.) so you really get a feel for all of the work that goes into everything we do. At the same time we want to make sure we get these kicked off for our other franchises as well.